Big Briggs

Neck

Growing up is optional
Looks like a 32 cubic inch 16hp model! Too bad it's a generator engine, as it will have a tapered output shaft!

bandit 40

I have a newer 5horse briggs with only 15hrs on it , but it has a tappered shaft, can a regular shaft and side cover be put on and used as a mini, and what .:doah:

bandit 40

i realize if I put a new crank i will have to swap out front covers because the hole in the side cover with oil seal is larger on the tappered shaft , does the flywheel side have a hole opening as well that large ????????????and will the side covers on an older briggs fit an older briggs :doah:

i realize if I put a new crank i will have to swap out front covers because the hole in the side cover with oil seal is larger on the tappered shaft , does the flywheel side have a hole opening as well that large ????????????and will the side covers on an older briggs fit an older briggs :doah:
Better to take the shaft out and have someone put it on the lathe. Just make sure to mesure where the cover ends and have it drilled and tapped and keyed.

bandit 40

thanks GTO I have to take the crank out anyways, got to start somewhere , i just hope this new 5horse briggs is worth all of this work, not to mention the cost to turn the crank on a lathe.:smile:

Sigh...any other options? I picked up an old generator that wasn't working, but the 5hp starts on one pull and runs strong.
Easy, just replace the crank with a 3/4" from a non running 5hp Briggs. Or there is one or two options depending on your shaft.

What is the shaft like? tapered? sizes?

that is one hell of a monster,

We had something like that when I worked at a place that ran go-karts and had a driving range in the summers,

It was a huge briggs, cast iron, like that one

It also had the goofy Synchro weights in it.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

I have an old Model 14 that is a smaller version of that huge red one. They are probably some of the best-built engines I have seen from Briggs. Small bore with a long stroke and conrod, smooth ports, big valves, and a cast iron block with removable sump and crank supports.

I took the sheetmetal and flyhwheel off of mine and milled the head. Someday I will make a billet rod for it, install a better piston, and make some ball bearing crank supports for it.