bike shipping tips

markus

Something I have been wanting to do is a sort of shipping tutorial of what I have found to be a pretty good way to ship bikes. this may not be the best way on some peoples eyes, but I buy just as much as I sell I can tell you its a better way than most of the bikes I have received over the years!

Shipping standard size bikes is actually pretty easy and pretty affordable, I'm my area mini bikes are uncommon and not much of a collector scene so I have found that the only way I can actually get rid of a bike or parts most of the time is to ship it out. And the only way to find needed parts is to have it shipped in so I hope some people that refuse to ship will maybe rethink that :wink:

first tip is size of the box can me more important that weight when it comes to cost. I always found boxes to be hard to find to fit frames, Used to spend hours dumpster diving and cutting appliance boxes up etc trying to make something. I was Walking though Home depot one day and noticed they had boxes and moving supplies, and dirt cheap I might add.

their "large" size is 18x18x24, of course not long enough, unless you slide 2 together. and at well under $2 a piece. That's cheap for a new box and turns into a double lined box when slid together :thumbsup: Also note that their bubble wrap rolls are about the cheapest as well, the bigger the roll the cheaper it is so I buy the big roll since I ship alot and it saves quite a bit. I like the stretch film roll you can get at staples better than the home depot roll but if you don't want to drive all over town the HD one is fine, that cost is about the same between stores. packing tape, well that stuff is really pricey wherever you go, I get it wherever there is a sale when I see it.

So heres what I am shipping, a 1969 CCS charger:

started by dissasembling of course, since I recently "built" the bike all the nuts and bolts cooperated and the bike is clean to work with. Time 20-30 minutes

I took the complete roller into my office and I wrap everything loose with bubble, and then wrap that tightly with stretch wrap, this only takes about 10 minutes to do and everything is pretty well protected.

Now I take one of the 18x18x24 boxes and tape up one side and I test fit just the frame/forks in there to see what kind of room I have spare to work with. this particular frame gave me enough open space to get everything for the roller into the box and since this is a fairly light bike I decided to ship it this way (about 50 LBS), I can tell you a full suspension bike like a 'nanza is alot heavier so you may choose to ship wheels or other parts separate on bikes like that.

So now I used the stretch film again to attach all the individual pieces onto the frame in a safe manner making sure that potential sharp edges etc. are in spots where they don't pose a threat and also that everything remains tight so nothing comes loose in the box.

[/url]

as you can see this is actually a pretty good fit all around, A square of cardboard or in this case I had a big thin sheet of styrofoam board that I cut to size and put in the bottom of the box to give the taped end a touch more strength.

so now I take the 2nd box and tape up only one end (one strip of tape, just to keep it "built") and take the open end and slide it over the top of the other box with the frame in it. the hardest part is when the boxes come together they may want to tear as the boxes are the same size. Its a good idea (I think) to make sure to position the boxes so the one seamed corner on each box is on different sides as you slide them together. I also sort of push in the in the inner box and sort of dent the corners which help keep it from ripping or tearing the outer box as you slide them together.

Push them together till you start to see the top of the box move when it comes in contact with the bike frame. I now cut the tape and insert the square piece of cardboard or foam and and push it all back together and tape it up tightly, and also make note of position of the frame and which side would make the strongest/safest bottom during delivery so you can put the label on the oppssite side. Flip the box over and tape the loose ends up etc..

this gives me a box thats now 18x18x35" @ 53 lbs total weight. This size puts you right on the verge with USPS, if you go any bigger than this or if they want to be douche bags and and do some measuring and its comes in a little bigger your shipping price may almost double so keep that in mind!!!!!

Personally I use fedex on the bigger stuff, its cheaper usually. they give you some more room on the dimensions till it goes oversize and I am fortunate that I have 2 places I can drop the packages within 10 miles that are fedex locations so there is no charge. but Ultimately I shop around as to who is the cheapest unless the buyer specifies a shipping choice. I also pay for my postage and labels online, which you actually get a discount on, less time standing in line somewhere as well and I think you actually can setup pickup at your home although I don't know if there is cost involved with that.

So the big question is whats the cost, well this particular package is going up the east coast into Maryland, actual ship cost is $37, thats with insuring for the full amount of the purchase price (which was over $500). it is going to a MC dealership so the cost would have been about $5 more if it was a residential address. Add, $4 for the 2 boxes, I guess about $10-12 in bubble, stretch film and tape, so roughly $15 in supplies. and roughly and hour of my time.

I have to box up the motor still this afternoon, so I can drop it all off in the AM at fedex. will add to this thread how I do those as well.

Bruceo

From reading some of the posts about shipping labels coming off and packages getting lost it might be a good idea to mark the boxes with a permanent marker where it came from and where its going.

buckeye

That is a excellent tutorial. And about as cheap as it gets.
Thank you Marcus for taking the time and effort to post this. :thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Excellent. :thumbsup: I hope some people that have no clue about shipping reads this. I agree, make this a sticky:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'll third that !

This has been a common topic on here many times, and this is hands down the best thread on the proper way to package and ship, as well as the low cost factor .

Thanks for taking the time to show us Markus :thumbsup:

Vic

markus

so after taking a nice long nap while the oil was draining out of the motor I went out and tackled packaging it up.

this is actually not my normal way of doing this, I chose to use some random styrofoam sheet/blocks that came with some boxed furniture we bought (I recycle packing materials when I can). So this is not as clean looking as usual but still as effective.

what I usually use is styrofoam insulation board from home depot. They sell like a 6 pack of these 4 ft long boards that are made to fit between wall studs, the pack cost like $8. This job would have been quicker and easier had i remembered to pick up some off that pre cut board last time I was out :doah:

I like to use the foam board because its strong, and its weighs nothing.

So for a smallblock tec or briggs you can creatively squeeze the complete motor into a Home depot small box, In order to use one box you do have to drop the tank, exhaust, and usually remove the plug. I actually left the axles and kickstand out of the big box plus the chainguard and this has a fairly big muff so I decided to double up the boxes like I did the bike to give me a little more room.

so of course drain the oil and fuel, make sure any opening to the engine is taped off and seal the tank cap pretty good so it does not fume up and cause alarm from someone handling it while shipping. of course wrapping it up with a bag or something does not hurt if your into that sort of thing.

So with the foam sheets I cut one the size of the bottom and drop it in the box, and line all 4 sides as well. this give you just enough room to wedge the motor in, the motor will almost bulge the sides, once its in place squeeze the box with one hand at the crankshaft area and the other a the pull start. this kinda pushes both into the foam board, and sort of helps lock into place.

now I used all the voids for places to put the wrapped up odds and ends and then use little pieces of foam block here and there to wedge it all together.

you can see above my foam is a little short since I am going to slide to boxes together so I cut some filler pieces at this point to stiffen everything up

Any little area on the top I kinda just stuff some foam pieces in and then I used another piece the size of the box and laid it on top of it all. Cut the flaps down to the overall height, and then slide the other box over top, cut the flaps off it and taped it all up. (as you can see It split one corner of the outer box a bit so make sure you tape it all good)

Nothing moves inside the box, there is a layer of foam encasing everything which also makes the box walls very stout. No movement is key!!!

Axles, kickstand, chain, chianguard were all in this box as well to total weight came in at 34 lbs. this box (going to the same place as the roller) with insurance of the cost of the entire bike (over $500) it was $24 about $30 if it was residential.

I will say that this was probably the cheapest shipping rate I have ever got for a "complete bike", they really are all over place so I would figure these prices to be absolute lowest. But its not too far under typical from what I have seen.

markus

Awesome Markus - I'm just PMing you my address:lol:
you know they are actually making it a bit easier and somewhat affordable to ship overseas now (smaller stuff at least) :thumbsup: you can now do postage and print out the the lables online and only have to personally deliver the package to a postal employee.

You still have to really know the "rules" and fees though for your country.

I just sent some tires to New Zealand, the bidding went crazy for the tires, they each sold for well over $100 each tire to the same guy. Shipping to NZ was $70 for the pair. so It was just over $300 total cost for him (for a pair of used 45 year old tires :doah:) he did ask me to tire shine them up and wanted me to mark them as new and of course reduce the price shown on
the forms. Best I could do for him was the tire shine, as this was an ebay sale I do my postage etc. through them and I cover my ass!!!

So I send them out, they sit in customs for awhile in NZ and when I talked to him about it I guess he had to shell out another roughly $75 US to get them out becuase the overall price went over a certain amount :doah:

so now hes at just about $400 for a used pair of tires for his scooter:scared:
I feel bad, but I don't. had he asked me to send them separately he would not have had that problem, he knew that. instead he figured I would put whatever on the customs form, "Homey don't play that" .

Funniest thing about it is those tires sell for say $50 on the high end usually, I had the starting bids at around $30 and just hoped they would sell for that. All of the sudden this bidding war starts and they jump way up over $100 each. it was between 2 bidders, both from NZ. I actually figured I was getting taken for a ride by some ebay scammers. But it was legit, and turns out that they actually knew each other and if they had "worked together" they could have gotten those tires for $30 a piece :doah: I'm just glad I got my money back outta them I actually had over $100 in the pair and figured I was gonna sell at a loss!

I was also surprised at the cost when recently I shipped a Cat to Havasu Dave. It cost $112 total via USPS (3 boxes) which was much less than I expected. I went with 3 boxes since that is what I had.

Box 1: Frame, handebar and seat
Box 2: Forks, wheels, fenders and misc
Box 3: Engine

Thanks for the Home Depot box tip...I will check it out.

markus

I was also surprised at the cost when recently I shipped a Cat to Havasu Dave. It cost $112 total via USPS (3 boxes) which was much less than I expected. I went with 3 boxes since that is what I had.

Box 1: Frame, handebar and seat
Box 2: Forks, wheels, fenders and misc
Box 3: Engine

Thanks for the Home Depot box tip...I will check it out.

Yea that CCS and manco wheels were surpisingly light, alot of other combination of parts would have simply been too much weight for one box.

I recently shipped a bonanza 1500 to Ohio. just the frame, swingarm, shocks, and front forks and that weighed the same as the complete CCS roller!!!

the Broncco TX6 I just shipped was a TANK, I lucked out and had a perfect fit heavy duty box that a trailer hitch came in, built in handles and everything. was just right for the frame, so I shipped it witht eh motor and electrics still installed in the big box and all the stuff like wheels, forks, seat, tank, etc.. in another big box. It was about $120 to upstate NY but it was heavy!!!!