Briggs & Stratton 5s:

Oh I guess it is blue huh? :laugh:.. I dunno.. I'm gonna call it like a 1950 build.. Pretty sexy I know that.. There is a guy on here "Clinton Nut" who knows them inside and out... You could give him a jingle..
lol. . .yup, a real fetching blueish metallic color-I would like to find nail polish in this color, actually! lol

From my Googling, it seems the B700s were late '40s to early '50s but the Carter carb makes it more into the '50s?

I will look for "Clinton Nut" on here....I think I saw his name recommended on Smokstak (where they have a lot of Clinton info and about these older engines, in general). :thumbsup:

OK. .. .good to know, I do have a ball hone....I got it a while ago but for a 5HP, so it might be too large, not sure.

I hope I can get it to go! . . ..it's the only old cast iron Briggs I have come across, so I don't know a whole lot about them. Your post is encouraging so I will have it off to the side of my other current projects to keep working on getting that valve unstuck here and there, when I get some time. :smile:

It's not the size of the hone, it's how you use it :wink:

(Don't worry about the hone itself. As long as you can cram it into the bore & get the crap out of there, it'll do for now... that's what I did. Just don't go crazy)

I got both of these motors at the Great Oregon Steam-Up-some amazing stuff turns up there as it is in the middle of rural farming land and the farmers just pull stuff out of their barns that they have been sitting on for 50 years. I find a lot of engines and antique tools there for practically scrap prices!

I picked it up because of the tank and I loved the color :lol:. It's a real neat blue-silver metallic. The recoil starter is nuts. . .it has a steel cable instead of a rope and looks super heavy duty. Also, from all my Googling, the model "number" seems really weird to anything else I am seeing, it is the letters "AOSA" where most seem to have a number string, instead?

The carb looks like an older Tecumseh carb in a way. It's a Carter model N and apparently was used on a lot of things back in the day and looks like I can get a rebuild kit for it no prob, if necessary. :thumbsup:
OH DAMN that is a Carter model "N" I wrote a big thing about the LMB carbs, and was gonna correct Boomstick, until I looked again.... :lol:

HOLY SHIT baby, you got a Carter on that thing, those are damn nice carbs.. They were on the old Kohler engines too, kinda pricey for the rite ones..

I understand finding antiques now.. I used to go to the steam / antique farm engine shows a lot when I was a kid.. My grandpa had 100 acres of crazy antique farm stuff.. Had a train car with trailer and about 1/2 mile of track.. It was even on the news one time..

I miss those tractor shows.. we displayed lots of stuff and had a bad ass camper trailer, lived there for a week.. It was great.. :sad:

Last edited:
I have exactly 8 of those Carter N's sitting in my toolbox. Gone through & waiting for hosts.

If I decide to let one go, I'll let you guys know if you're interested.

How tall is that engine:shrug:

Don't let that pipe wrench in the photo throw you off....it's like only 6" long, the smallest pipe wrench I have ever seen! It's my go-to small engine exhaust pipe remover. :thumbsup:

The Briggs 5S is 10 1/2" to the top of the fins on the head and 13" to the top of the wing-nut on the carb.

I think it would make a really kewl Tom Thumb motor, albeit heavy as an anchor. I have seen some neat YouTube videos of peeps idling them soooooo slooooow it's funny.....they kinda chug like a steam engine or something.

OH DAMN that is a Carter model "N" I wrote a big thing about the LMB carbs, and was gonna correct Boomstick, until I looked again.... :lol:

HOLY SHIT baby, you got a Carter on that thing, those are damn nice carbs.. They were on the old Kohler engines too, kinda pricey for the rite ones..

I understand finding antiques now.. I used to go to the steam / antique farm engine shows a lot when I was a kid.. My grandpa had 100 acres of crazy antique farm stuff.. Had a train car with trailer and about 1/2 mile of track.. It was even on the news one time..

I miss those tractor shows.. we displayed lots of stuff and had a bad ass camper trailer, lived there for a week.. It was great.. :sad:
I thought it was a good looking carburetor. . .. boy, they just don't build stuff like this anymore, that's why I love the old stuff. It looks real similar to a Tecumseh carb, too. I found on the internet, they were on a lot of motors back in the day and people seem to really like them, put them on all sorts of stuff. There was even a modern China engine here on OldMiniBikes I found that was using one! 1 50+ year old carb on modern engine....too funny.

Yeah, the tractor shows are a hoot. . ..I love them, especially the Steam-Up! I was actually invited to take the steam engineers class there....once I do, I would be qualified to drive a steam engine around at the shows! I think I am going to have to do that....... :thumbsup:

Here's me on an old Ford 8N tractor at this year's steam-up!

Maybe you can help her find that nail polish Bridger.:laugh:

Great stuff ya'll. Thanks for the lesson.:thumbsup:
lol. . .I'm not kidding! it's not the first time I have found a nail color I like that way....I'm still in search of the classic Mopar color "Plum Crazy" in a nail polish! (it's a super metal flake purple-really sparkley) Since I have to keep my nails on the shorter side with all the wrench turning, might as well paint them. :smile:

Believe it or not, the 5s is just deceptively small. You look at it from a distance and it looks kinda big. And then the closer & closer you get, you realize how small they are!

I can't think of a spot on a bike frame or similar where one wouldn't fit. It's just a matter of weight at that point.

Nice find with the Clinton.

Your engine appears to be made no earlier than 1952 and no later than 1955. The starter you have was made by a company called Schnacke. This starter was patented as a "reliable alternative" to the traditional rope and pulley method of starting. I have had several of these starters and they ARE NOT reliable AT ALL! Usually the cable breaks, the starter catch gets jammed and its a pretty clunky setup compared to a rope recoil. They are however, quite a unique piece of history. Rarely do you see a B700 like yours that has one of these starters. I have only seen two or three like yours.

As for the model number, B700 was the base model. The sub number AOSA states what options it has. If I was at home right now I could tell you exactly the options AOSA states. It was a 1.5hp engine equipped with a Carter Model N carburetor. These carburetors can also be found on Reo and Kohler engines.

If you need any help with the engine or parts, feel free to contact me at clintonnut_85@hotmail.com

Charlie

Nice find with the Clinton.

Your engine appears to be made no earlier than 1952 and no later than 1955. The starter you have was made by a company called Schnacke. This starter was patented as a "reliable alternative" to the traditional rope and pulley method of starting. I have had several of these starters and they ARE NOT reliable AT ALL! Usually the cable breaks, the starter catch gets jammed and its a pretty clunky setup compared to a rope recoil. They are however, quite a unique piece of history. Rarely do you see a B700 like yours that has one of these starters. I have only seen two or three like yours.

As for the model number, B700 was the base model. The sub number AOSA states what options it has. If I was at home right now I could tell you exactly the options AOSA states. It was a 1.5hp engine equipped with a Carter Model N carburetor. These carburetors can also be found on Reo and Kohler engines.

If you need any help with the engine or parts, feel free to contact me at clintonnut_85@hotmail.com

Charlie
Thanks for your reply, ClintonNut! You certainly know these engines-thanks for the info! When I start fixing it up, I will contact you with any parts needs for sure....this is a neat little engine, another keeper for sure, in my growing collection. :thumbsup:

Aaaaand speaking of Clintons, the 1 or 1.5hp I had run for so long finally gave up the ghost. Checked the oil prior to starting, gave it a quick couple of pulls with the spark plug out (it hasn't run in some time) to get oil up & into the cylinder. Ran for all of 3 minutes at a smooth, lopey idle & then BANG.

A little disappointing, but I'm not going to blame this engine. It lived a very, very hard life for the last several decades.

I would like to find another connecting rod, I'll have to find the actual number on it.