briggs vs honda or clone ??

Both can be built to run and run good , but dollar for dollar a ohv engine is going to be hard to beat . I would go for the 212 Predator engine.

CarPlayLB

I think the Briggs Animal is the best bang for the buck! About $500 if you shop...just a bit shy of 10HP at 6200RPM, add oil, header, clutch, and let it eat! I have one with a TAV2 on a Murray track2 which is a heavy bike...and I am a big kid at 280lbs....it will lift the front wheel at 15MPH, make me squeal like a little girl, and do it consistently with just a pull of the starter handle. I can leave it sit for a month, or two,....give it a couple quick pulls and it runs like a champ!

just my .02

I would think it would be a matter of ones knowledge of motors. If you have no experience with small motors a ready to run motor is better then buying a 99 dollar motor and then tearing it apart and buying all the goodies to make it run better. In the long run a ready to run will beat out a cheap motor needing a complete rebuild for the power one is looking for. Oh, I own 26 Briggs Inteks and have no need of a 99 dollar predator. All my motors were bought off ebay and I have an average investment of less then 90 dollars in each motor.

trinik7597

i have an animal and spent no where near 500 for it if you do some shopping around :thumbsup: also have a couple predators very good running engines but don't be fooled 99 can turn into 800 plus real fast :doah: have an intek too got it for 30 and sold the clutch so it was basically free and with the exception of an extra bearing turned it into an animal on the cheap . also have a couple honda gx engines about the most bullet proof engines out there

joshua. c.

briggs and hondas are good engines, preditors have quality controle issues some may be good but some arn't, iv herd of several that have had a nock right out of the box. they are cheep for a reason. in go with the trusted quality of a briggs or honda and if you find one used it coold cost less than the preditor.

If you buy the engine from HF, they will replace it with no questions asked during the normal warranty time. If you buy the inexpensive extended warranty, the deal gets better.
Walk in with your bad engine,walk out with a new one.
So far after buying seven engines from the "Greyhound" blue brand to the black Predator engines I have had no problems with any of them. And they get "Rode hard and put away wet".
Nothing wrong with Briggs or Tecumseh engines,just pointing out its hard to beat a 99 dollar engine that runs so well.

gbabins1

^^^^^ I'm with Rob :thumbsup: Love me some Predators. I also bought a boat load of the Greyhounds when they were on clearance. I did have an issue with one... but bought the warranty and back it went no questions asked. :scooter:

HF is awesome about there warranty
For around 800$ you can build a engine that will put a smile on your face
And the smack down on almost anything under 250cc
But for 500$
Engine 100$
Arc rod 85$
Flywheel 100$
Camshaft with springs 100$
Carb jet kit 15$
J pipe header 40$
And if your over 21 theres money left for beer

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code