Brigs & straton Alky Motor

I just have a few questions...recently bought a 5Hp Alky Brigs ....guy said the head was milled 10 over and had a racing cam inside...runs on Juice it has been sitting for a long time guy said it's brand new.....But my questions are whats the Power range of a 5hp alcohal motor?

And also what's the best Header to use with this,motor? Or Brigs & would this motor be considered a Raptor?

trinik7597

does look like someone removed a header support by the loose nut on the head . should be a open straight header for a mini . milling is removing material from the head and +10 is an over bore on the cyl two different things

does look like someone removed a header support by the loose nut on the head . should be a open straight header for a mini . milling is removing material from the head and +10 is an over bore on the cyl two different things
Yeah I havnt opened the motor up yet...but I do know it runs on Alky ...has some in the tank, so the carb has been drilled out As far as cam goes I don't know what's inside...But there's no govnor and there been work done ...doesn't show in pictures but they upgraded the valve cover as well as a Shiney plate on the back of the motor, as well as a racing clutch cover.....I forgot to mention I got the motor from a guy who I bought a Racing go kart from

Also if you can't tell I'm not to familiar with the boring machining the head stuff......

trinik7597

you want to get that alky out the tank asap and flush the tank and carb with gas and remove the filter and cover the carb opening !!! running alky is high maint. not like gas :thumbsup: just so you know upgrading a 5 horse does not make it a raptor . a raptor motor is purpose built on the same platform some people convert the i/c motors into race motors . you will know more if you tear it down

you want to get that alky out the tank asap and flush the tank and carb with gas and remove the filter and cover the carb opening !!! running alky is high maint. not like gas :thumbsup: just so you know upgrading a 5 horse does not make it a raptor . a raptor motor is purpose built on the same platform some people convert the i/c motors into race motors . you will know more if you tear it down
Ok when you say flush the tank....what do I do? And how much gas to purge the system

trinik7597

there are a lot of guys here that know way more than me !!!! thats just the basics . sure someone with better info will chime in :thumbsup:

there are a lot of guys here that know way more than me !!!! thats just the basics . sure someone with better info will chime in :thumbsup:
Gotcha...ya I'm a Gaser guy not a Methonal guy....got the motor for 100$ super clean motor tho picture doesn't do it justice.....Also notice plug is pulled? Told me I needed to buy a special Alky spark plug? Said it fires brighter or whatever or fires cooler? Idk

Not an expert. But to drain and flush the tank you just empty the tank. Then maybe put a small bit of normal gas in. Swish it around and then drain that again. Maybe do that one or two times. Then put straight gas in. Then either take the carb apart and clean thoroughly or just run the motor and that will get all the Alky out of the carb and tank. Would be better to take the carb apart and clean. Then i am pretty sure you need to drain your oil. Pretty sure you have to drain your oil but don't quote me on that.

We use pump gas / marvel mystery oil combination to flush the carbs on our alky engines...need to do it quick, alcohol makes a real mess in a few days or less.

And yes alky will end up in the crankcase, keep the oil changed.

Last edited:
It causes the "white death", or severe oxidation and pitting to the point of ruining carbs and motors. Methanol and aluminum don't really get along too well.
For this reason, I drain & flush both the carb and motor(oil) whenever I run the bike.

Gas/Marvel mystery oil is one combo, I use gas/2-stroke oil really rich mix like 30:1. Run the motor on the gas/oil mix as long as it will run. Some smoke may be present. After it stalls, drop oil fill with fresh oil, and drain carb.
Running the motor on the gas/oil mix will protect against the white death. Sometimes I will spray WD-40 into the plug hole, crankcase and carb just to make sure.

Last edited:
It causes the "white death", or severe oxidation and pitting to the point of ruining carbs and motors. Methanol and aluminum don't really get along too well.
For this reason, I drain & flush both the carb and motor(oil) whenever I run the bike.

Gas/Marvel mystery oil is one combo, I use gas/2-stroke oil really rich mix like 30:1. Run the motor on the gas/oil mix as long as it will run. Some smoke may be present. After it stalls, drop oil fill with fresh oil, and drain carb.
Running the motor on the gas/oil mix will protect against the white death. Sometimes I will spray WD-40 into the plug hole, crankcase and carb just to make sure.
Well, whatever is in the tank is ethier Super old Varnish or some Old Alky....But I do remember this ! The guy said man wish I could of heard that thing run I was wondering what it sounds like.....BECAUSE guy said he had it jetted & bored it out at the machine shop &put a Race cam inside, then it just sat in the attic, ( I actually had to help him get it down) So I don't think it ever had a chance to run) .OR the guy was full of shit so I'll need to pop it open and see what goodies I have..I'm sure it's legit due to the fact the sellers garage was full of hot rods ...

Last edited:
If it was filled with alcohol and left in an attic it could have the white death.
But maybe you lucked out.
If you run an alcohol motor, you can't just shut it off and put it away like a normal engine. You have to drain all the alky out of the engine (oil) and carb (drain bowl) as well as running a gas/oil mixture through the motor to protect it.
It's a lot more work and maintenance than gasoline.

Last edited:
alky makes water. Its corrosive on it's own, but WILL cause condensation. On race cars, we used WD-40 to flush the lines and coat the bowl.

On THIS engine, dump the remaining fuel out, then remove the main adjustable jet- the spring, needle, then the brass jet behind it, and hose it down with WD-40 using that red straw that comes with it. Might as well check the hole in the jet and make sure it's not clogged. If it's an alky carb, that hole will be bigger, but I don't know by how much.

Since its an unknown engine, I'd take pump cover off, (4 screws) and inspect and hose it down with WD as well.

did anyone ever run dual tanks and at the end of youre run shut off the alky and run gas through it? Iv aquired 5 gallons of alky and im thinking ill try that on one of my gas minis just to use it up.