Carb score

danc9

One of the guys from church was cleaning out his basement and asked if I wanted an old 5hp Briggs. He has had in down there for over twenty years and thought it might run! I tore it apart this morning and things didn't turn out so well. Before I even got started there is a crack in the side of the block where the rod had made contact! After I got the side cover off, there was in fact contact between the rod and block. Someone had replaced the rod, and didn't torque the bolts or secure them. The crank got so hot it blued the journal....

Now the good news... the carb is in great shape as well as the tank. The pull start is the cast aluminum! The head is perfect. Between this and another $10 score a few months ago, (also a 1975) I'll be putting together a 1975 Briggs 5hp! The other block is magneto and was missing the carb, cooling tins and the like.

One question for the OldMiniBikes sages; in the second image there is an arrow pointing at a hole. Is this part of some kind of mounting? The parts diagram has it filled with a 10/32 X 3/8 inch hex head screw.

Many thanks in advance, DAN

that hole is for mounting of choke linkage in the event that the engine was used in something with a remote choke. you will be fine to run with nothing in that hole unless it is drilled into the inside of the carb (shouldn't be). in that case, just put a bolt in there as a plug

danc9

Put together

I got the engine parts all put together. New mag, carb rebuilt, a few gaskets, and a muffler. It started on the third pull! Now for paint.

I got the engine parts all put together. New mag, carb rebuilt, a few gaskets, and a muffler. It started on the third pull! Now for paint.
That engine looks good enough "as-is". I would NOT paint that thing. Especially because it has that hard to find goldish copper color.

That engine looks good enough "as-is". I would NOT paint that thing. Especially because it has that hard to find goldish copper color.
Yeah, the only parts that need paint are aluminum... Go Polished aluminum and original Briggs Bronze.. :drool: DO NOT remove that paint from any steel parts.. :doah: I even have a really nice original gold side shield for the motor if ya needed it.. AND if you aren't gonna paint it..

Heres one for ya Rich... They are still around... :evil_laughter:

Yeah, the only parts that need paint are aluminum... Go Polished aluminum and original Briggs Bronze.. :drool: DO NOT remove that paint from any steel parts.. :doah: I even have a really nice original gold side shield for the motor if ya needed it.. AND if you aren't gonna paint it..

Heres one for ya Rich... They are still around... :evil_laughter:

There were a few 3hp briggs with that color and a 5hp briggs on a tiller on the PA CL.