Chain Tensioner

I have a doodlebug with the 6.5 honda clone engine. Is the tensioner needed to keep the chain from popping off as well as keeping it tight?

There's a good video of redoing one into a spring loaded one on you tube that looked pretty easy. Keep that chain from slappin' with a spring and using the existing mounts of the chainguard if I remember correctly. Gotta do my sons db when it warms up a little.

I used a 3" piece of flat stock and dilled holes in each end then mounted the roller and mounted the bracket to the original slot. I ran the spring from a hole just below the roller to the chain guard and anchored it with a bolt. My chain was so worn I could lift it 1/4" off the sprocket but the tensioner kept the chain from being thrown. I have a new DB I'm building with a Predator and it will run one as well. You can see the tensioner in this photo:

Mine is similar , I make mine 2-3/4" long and use the original adjustment bolt to add a little more adjustability ! The high quality chain makes a big difference too in my opinion !

Last edited: