Cherry Brake Levers

So I'm trying to buy a brake lever for my Bonanza BC 1300 restore. Ebay has Cherry levers new that they found in a barn as you may have seen for 12.95. I need a 1 inch. The levers on ebay are 7/8 inch but can also be used for 1 inch. Is this true, 7/8 inch can be used on 1 inch bars? I searched it on this site but found information that made it seem like a lot of work to accomplish this. Is it a lot of work, filing and so on? Also, what is this threaded, or not threaded stuff mean. Some levers are threaded and some not. Please educate this rookie(ME) on what this means.

Last edited:

george3

So I'm trying to buy a brake lever for my Bonanza BC 1300 restore. Ebay has Cherry levers new that they found in a barn as you may have seen for 12.95. I need a 1 inch. The levers on ebay are 7/8 inch but can also be used for 1 inch. Is this true, 7/8 inch can be used on 1 inch bars? I searched it on this site but found information that made it seem like a lot of work to accomplish this. Is it a lot of work, filing and so on? Also, what is this threaded, or not threaded stuff mean. Some levers are threaded and some not. Please educate this rookie(ME) on what this means.
Bonanza never used cherry levers. they look half ass simular. Cherry are cheap copys and dont look the same. Check your PM.

I know some of the later 7/8 handle bar bikes used Cherry grips, not positive about the levers on those bikes. The 1" stuff was Doherty....levers, throttles, and grips.

"The levers on Ebay are 7/8" but can also be used for 1".:eek:ut:
Naw, don't believe it. That has not been our experience...
Contact OldMiniBikes member "Mac" on this forum.:thumbsup: We bought a brand new one (still in wrapper) from him awhile back for our Sears Roper restoration, and at the time I saw that he had many others. You can also get them at OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Last edited:
I know some of the later 7/8 handle bar bikes used Cherry grips, not positive about the levers on those bikes. The 1" stuff was Doherty....levers, throttles, and grips.
I have a Bonanza MB250 that I got from the original owner...quite sure it has oem Cherry 7/8" ball end levers....I'll take a pic when I can.....

ah that's right...mine is a MB300 with an oem 2-1/2 hp motor that they didn't bother printing up a color brochure for.......we've danced this dance before.....

george3

I just looked at my mx handles not labeled as cherry or do they have the arrow head. well that sucks. I will replace them with the 7/8 Doherty levers when the time comes the quality is is better. They have the thicker handle and just feel better than cherry.

Cherry Brake Levers / Knock Offs

I'm looking for new brake levers for a '72 Arctic Cat Prowler. I've always assumed the originals were Cherry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can't find both left and right genuine Cherry levers. The closest I've come is at Old School Mini Bike. The right hand is genuine Cherry, the left is the knock-off that some people sell on eBay claiming to be Cherry. The knock off is an 1/8" shorter and you can see a larger angled flange on the bracket compared to the real deal. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone have a source for both left and right Cherry levers? Anyone every bought from Old School Mini Bike? Their site looks nice but they don't provide any company info or even a pre-sales info email address. Not the kind of place I want to spend my money but they seem to be the only guys with something close.

OldMiniBikes member "Mac" has left-hand genuine Cherry 1" brake levers for sure (brand new, still in wrapper) I just bought another one from him very recently, and I noticed at the time that he still had others. I do not know if he has the right hand levers, however- contact him and ask.
Sidebar opinion: We have Cherry brake levers on 2 of our bikes and I am pleased with the look, quality, and feel of them:thumbsup:- your mileage may vary.
Michael