clean carb

I have seen a video on carb adjustment on my non hemi 212. It says there is no adjustment. Is that true? I just cleaned my carb and put everything together and now my throttle at idle will propel me at about 15 and my brakes won't hold anymore. Maybe I did something wrong?

Well I pulled everything apart and the lever that rests on the adjustment screw will not sit on the adjustment screw. Showing me that the valve is too wide open I just have no idea how to make the lever rest on that screw. I have messed with all the springs to no avail. I however was looking at some forums and the governor could be out of adjustment. So we will see, thanks for the reply, I'm racking my brain and I cannot think of anything.

i think i know what your problem is. that lever that rests on the adjustment screw is called a throttle shaft. you said you took the carb off and that was it. did you mess with the arm on the top of the engine that is bolted to the governor? if not, then your governor is fine and its not the problem. im pretty sure its just a linkage issue. throttle shaft stock positon.jpg

This is what i have for pictures. Sorry it took so long I'm working and I have my son for a month of summer. Plus trying to figure out the how to upload photos. Thanks. I think you're right. How do i adjust it.

There is that rod that goes from the top of the engine to the Governor arm to the (I call it the engine air valve) and it has a spring that wraps around the rod... I don't really see a need for the spring and the rod. Reason being the rod will keep placement of the valve regardless if the spring is there or not.

buckeye

Good for you for being a Dad and taking time with him instead of uploading pics. Much respect man.

So, the black screw that is a Phillips head right by your throttle cable is backed all the way out? I can't tell from the pictures.

Can you manually without the engine running close that butterfly to touch the black screw?

Have you switched the spring and solid linkage? The spring is a little bent but, not sure that matters.

If none of that does it, someone else may be able to help you.

i strongly advise against trying to reset the governor unless you forced that arm that goes under the fuel tank one way or another. there has to be something else blocking your throttle shaft from going back to idle and creating the gap. it should look like the throttle shaft in my picture.

I have messed with the linkages and will retry. It will close manually but for some odd reason won't stick. The screw is also backed all the way out. I'll probably pull the carb apart again and see what's up. Thanks :) give an answer if I figure it out.

Has to be the governor arm. Spent 2 hours on the springs just swapping them around. Broke one so I said eff it and made it shorter for more tension and just messed it up more. Will be adjusting the arm tomorrow and order the springs. Hopefully I fix something this weekend. Maybe go buy an engine and mimic it or throw that one on.

Just wanted to say I reset the governor thanks to some help from redgokart and threw some modded springs I got from auto zone!! Thanks for everything!