Coleman CT200u for 10 and 8 year old kids

Newbie here looking at minibikes for my 11 (110lbs) and 8 (75 lbs) year old kids. 4 wheelers seem too pricey to buy and keep up with. Thought about a go cart too but think they will have more fun on the minibikes and there seems like there is not much to keep up with on these. I've read everything I can find on here about the Coleman CT200u and it seems like a good deal for the money at Walmart.

1) Is this going to be too big for them? I can't imagine it is for the 11 year old but maybe the 8 year old. I plan to get just one to start with to make sure they like it and it is not too big.

2) Can you adjust the throttle so it does not open all the way to keep the speed/acceleration down in the beginning?

3) If the Coleman is too big for the 8yo, what about the Monster Moto MMB-80? I hate to get something that he will soon grow out of but want him to be comfortable as well. How will the 79cc motor push around a 75lb kid?

We live on a dirt lane with a flat loop that the kids can ride that is probably around 3/8 of a mile. Can add trails later on in 18 acres of weeks as well, not is fairly flat.

Seems like most people on here are reliving their youth and building these things for themselves, I have not been able to find much on the site about kids on these

They look like a lot of fun and relatively low maintenance. Looking forward to it! Now that I created a user name I need to try and find the Coleman Group on here.

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
You will get 10 million answers.
The Coleman is a little big for the 8year old, maybe..
Should be throttle stop screws but, kids will figure that out in no time.
You mechanical?
Those engines aren't the greatest as reported.

Not really a Coleman group.
Basically those a Baja Doodlebugs.
Lots of custom ones on here.
Good luck.

toomanytoys

Seems like most people on here are reliving their youth and building these things for themselves, I have not been able to find much on the site about kids on these
These are for kids?

Anyway.

Some of your points makes me think you aren't very mechanically inclined. These new import bikes, colemans, motovox, doodlebugs, ect. Out of the box are poorly made. They run decent out of the box, but after use you see many people complaining about chains popping off, motors not running, sprockets worn, bearings failed, ect. All of the guys here are probably only using the frame on their bikes, the rest has been changed out. This is my experience and observations, I am sure many will disagree or agree with me.

I've sat on a CT200U at cabelas a few years ago. Felt like a pretty large bike for kids. But kids come in all shapes and sizes.

I'd say go for the motovox with the 97cc engine, let them get used to riding it, then go to harbor freight and pick up a 6.5 predator and put on it.

I hate to say it, as much as I love minibikes, I skipped the minibike for my kids, and just bought them a 3 year old Honda CRF-50F. They are around 1400 new, and used you can pick them up for 700-800 bucks. I bought a 2012 for 750 dollars that still had the tits on the tires. Gears, and suspension! My 6 year old daughter is finally getting the hang of riding it, shifting, ect.

If a kid can ride a bicycle, they can learn to put it in first, and putt around, then eventually learn to shift the gears up and down without an issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I've had a Chineese 150cc scooter since 2008 that I can keep running so I'm not too worried about chains and the like. This seems infinitely less complicated than that (no hydraulic brakes, not suspension, etc...). The biggest hassle with the scooter is removing the plastics to get to anything. I thought the mini bike would be nice because everything is much easier to get to.

Wouldn't the CRF-50 be to small for my 11 year old?

Yamaha PW 80 would be a good fit, easy to work on, plentiful supply of used ones, as the kids grow out of them.

Running and working on a mini bike is more complicated that a mass produced quality pit bike. And those mass produced bikes handle better, go faster, and resale higher when the kids outgrow them.

The part about the nostalgic scene here is just that. A lot of us are here to restore the vintage bikes for the fun of it, and the nostalgic aspects. They're quirky enough, and expensive enough that I wouldn't let my grand kids ride them. (Grown sons, yes)

I realize how tempting that Coleman would look sitting in a store, but as "toys" said, most folks who do buy them, get rid of the engines, and modify the bikes heavily-

On the other hand, those bikes and the Doodlebugs make handy Father-Kid projects too. But the end result isn't the quality you'll get in that used $450 PW 80, but it may be worth it spending time with the kids in the garage too.

All statements above are well stated , I personally like the Yamaha TTR 90 as its a 4 stroke , it was my son's first motorcycle and it was fabulous , he rode the wheels of it then we sold to a friend for his son then he did the same when his son out grew it , can't kill those things . If you gonna mini bikes I'd go with the Monster Moto MB80 I think it's called , K-Mart had them for $299 brand new and even in Camo , just be prepared for it to be somewhat of a project down the road !

Newbie here looking at minibikes for my 11 (110lbs) and 8 (75 lbs) year old kids. 4 wheelers seem too pricey to buy and keep up with. Thought about a go cart too but think they will have more fun on the minibikes and there seems like there is not much to keep up with on these. I've read everything I can find on here about the Coleman CT200u and it seems like a good deal for the money at Walmart.

1) Is this going to be too big for them? I can't imagine it is for the 11 year old but maybe the 8 year old. I plan to get just one to start with to make sure they like it and it is not too big.

2) Can you adjust the throttle so it does not open all the way to keep the speed/acceleration down in the beginning?

3) If the Coleman is too big for the 8yo, what about the Monster Moto MMB-80? I hate to get something that he will soon grow out of but want him to be comfortable as well. How will the 79cc motor push around a 75lb kid?

We live on a dirt lane with a flat loop that the kids can ride that is probably around 3/8 of a mile. Can add trails later on in 18 acres of weeks as well, not is fairly flat.

They look like a lot of fun and relatively low maintenance. Looking forward to it! Now that I created a user name I need to try and find the Coleman Group on here.
Hey your sons are lucky!!!! I personally own a ct200u so I can share hands on experience.

I don't think the little guy would be mature enough to respect the bike. Meaning 6.5hp with the 10:1 gearing can pull up easily on you if you give it full throttle. Plus the drum brakes suck no matter how you adjust them, they either slow you down but never fast enough or they lock up the rear tire. But he can definitely grow into it.

Yes there is a throttle stop adjustment, so you'll be good there.

The other mini bikes are small compared to the ct200u. He might outgrow it, but then again if that was true this forum wouldn't exist.

For the money it's worth it, I have kept it stock for a bit and it rode fine. No problems with chains or clutch. Easy to pull start, 1st pull. But of course I got the itch and couldn't resist.

There is a mod that SHOULD be done out of the box.
You can message me for details.

toomanytoys

Wouldn't the CRF-50 be to small for my 11 year old?

Probably would be, but as Dave said, the PW80 is a good size. Cruise craigslist. Hell if you want to go vintage find a CT70(and still ride one today). I started riding one at 6 or 7.

The thing about bikes in general is that kids outgrow them so fast. I started riding at 5, I had manco streaker. I road it for 2 summers, went to a Honda 70, then a KX100, then a CR125, then onto ATV. Dad bought me 3 or 4 bikes in 5 years.

Last edited:
I think I'll get them a moto max mmb80. It will fit the 8 year old better. I don't want them going fast. I can put a jack shaft on it if they need more torque.

I think I'll get them a moto max mmb80. It will fit the 8 year old better. I don't want them going fast. I can put a jack shaft on it if they need more torque.
Good choice for the money to get started and see if they really take an interest , then later as they get bigger and hopefully retain the interest it'll be great shop time as Dave said to spend with them upgrading and modifying the bikes , good luck :thumbsup: