comet 30 series eating belts for dinner

ok I have a manco go kart with predator engine with a header, air filter, and .035" main jet and it eats belts. I don't think the engine is too powerful however I might be wrong but I want to know why it tears through belts. I just put a brand new kevlar belt on it and aligned the clutches. the drive clutch is new the driven clutch has a new spring and it was sand blasted but it still eats through belts in about 5hrs my belt is worn out. I can't use a centrifugal clutch because of all the hills around my house so anything to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert but did you replace a smaller engine with your predator? Is your gearing made for the predator and the hp it is putting out. Do you need a tav on it or can it be direct? I wonder if you increased your hp to where you are slipping your belt. Thus burning them up.

I replaced a 196cc (I think) briggs and stratton fun power it was 5hp. I have not changed the gearing though I have the comet 30 series with a 9 tooth drive sprocket and a 60 on the axle. I don't know if that gearing is the reason for shredding belts because it's the stock gearing from the factory.

i have gone through 3 in under a year with a 13hp so don't think that's it either. i ride it pretty hard when i ride solo. i adjusted my driver for a faster engagement but had no change on belt life.

Is it a PIX brand belt you are using?

Pix makes bad belts they wear very quickly.

Failing that something is not adjusted correctly.
Could be a a slight mis alignmment .

Or it could be slipping because your secodnary clutch needs more tension.

I know the belts are aligned but I'm not sure about the brand and Im also not sure if my driven unit doesn't have enough tension but how would I check the tension?

the belt is a PIX a symmetrical kevlar belt I hope that is the complete problem but who make a strong belt that will last for the comet 30 series
There you have it.
Just search for Comet belts.
I buy mine from several sources in the USA.
US made too.....

I suspect there is only one compnay that makes the OEM belts and any others you see are same as long as they have the square cog shape to inner part of the belt.

PIX took an existing belt they made and cut it to the comet specifications.
The material they use is too soft and you can easily wear one out.

I managed to wear out a PIX in 45 minuts.
I thought it was the ATV system too and spent a lot of time trying to understand what I had done wrong.

See the difference?

Last edited:
you said it was a symmetrical belt the 30 series uses a asymmetrical belt with one side flat towards the engine.
The PIX belts really are so soft that I don't think it matters.

You can get abot 4 or 5 good launches out of one.

They must stay cold however.
They do not glaze but the rubber flies off fast and you can see it all over your rim after each pass.

Once hot they get greasy soft and foul up you clutches.