Vintage Cushman Higlander

Cushman Highlander

• yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Made quite a bit of progress.. I have a Plan for the Drive Train.. I found a nice old steel comet TAV with the motor plate on ebay.. I will have to drill for the Clone engine.. but it fits the bike in the sweet zone for the exhaust I want to use... I also made a choice that I have been wrestling with since I bought this bike.. I'm not going to Pant it.. I'm just going to clean it up, it took 60 years to weather like it is.. I even had a new body ready to go.. I think I'll take that money i was going to send on paint and put it into the engine.... I found the price tag from the junk shop that i found this guy... it looks like a lot but the engine was indeed rebuilt and worth at least 2 times that... 20200104_152842.jpg 20200104_152850.jpg 20200104_152858.jpg 20200104_125408.jpg

Attachments

Still need to figure the foot brake out as it is designed to work from the other side... and the wiring harness for the Lights, brake and battery (its not going to charge off the engine) .. The really cool thing about this bike is it has a title and can be insured.. (through Haggerty) so this bike will be a neighborhood rider..

I think i have room for a bike battery tucked in behind the jack shaft motor plate.. I really like the way the air cleaner and muffler follow the curve of the seat frame on this bike.. I used a reese hitch 2 1/2 in adapter to get the height i needed off the husky Motor mount.. and a simple piece of square stock on the front, and I'm in business.. there is so much heavy structure to bolt too under that sheet metal.. I was thinking I could get a bigger engine in there if i wanted but after seeing it pretty close to set I don,t think i had the height.. I will have to relocate the light switch from the left side to the right side.. (cushman mounts the switch under the engine shroud on the left and my belt drive is going to be in the way..) Starting to have fun with this guy... 20200105_091420.jpg 20200105_091530.jpg

I like the idea of keeping the patina. Interested in seeing how you deal with the bearings in the front fork neck. Asking because I tried to remove the forks from a Cushman and ball bearing started falling everywhere

I like the idea of keeping the patina. Interested in seeing how you deal with the bearings in the front fork neck. Asking because I tried to remove the forks from a Cushman and ball bearing started falling everywhere
Yes the Neck.. the really cool thing about cushmans is a lot of this stuff is a phone call away.. I didn't have the ball bearings.. 60 of the little buggers so I have them on order