Custom Mini Snow Bike build

I have an Old minibike frame (witch the mark and model is unknown). The frame is in rough shape, it has a few cracks and surface rust spots.

The jack shaft bearings and wheel bearings are seized, and the tires have no thread left. the rear shocks are finished, and there a MANY parts missing.

I will be making this bike into a Custom bike for the winter months (the mini-bike fanatics worst season). I will be making a custom widened swing-arm to support a very wide tire... for snow flotation. Also I will be making a removable ski for the front (to be removable to ride during the summer). the ski will be made from an old shortened Ski-Doo ski.

The engine in Question will be a Rotax 165cc single cylinder Forced air cooled, I will be using the stock primary/secondary drive system with the original chain case... but the chain case will be led to the tire with a chain.

I will be Posting many pictures of the Before, After and during the Custom build...

Can't wait to see this build, I have been thinking about building one, but I want to see how you do yours first. Nice to see another Canadian guy on this forum. :thumbsup: Good luck with the build.

Wait a minute, instead of using a wide tire in the back for floatation, why not a track? I have seen tracks from snow blowers used before. That way you would do a lot better in the snow because even with a big tire you will spin.

Not sure whose bike it is, but this is what I mean about a snow blower track.

Also, OldMiniBikes member jeep2003 made a mini bike with tracks in the front and back, if you decide to use a track in the back I am sure he could give you some pointers. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have already thought of using a track from a snow blower, but I want to make the bike interchangeable from winter to summer! that is why i decided to use a big tire... as temporary use I will be using a tire from a lawn tractor... but I will be purchasing a paddle tire that is made for racing quads to use duding sand mud and snow! I think that would work just fine... because I will be using it on semi hard-pack snow.

I also found out what kid of bike it is!! it is an old fox (I found a sticker below the seat bracket with the name of the company and the model number.

I will also be posting some pictures of it tonight!!!

Last edited:
Clinton made a bike that had interchangeable forks similar to what you described. Its tracks were more forward, probably to keep the rider's weight over them.

Thanks for all the ideas... I will try to rig something up...

I aim still debating whether to use the 165cc Rotax (witch is made to run in the winter times... and will bolt right in with very little modifications! the only problem i would maybe have is the trouble to mount a sprocket on the bottom of the chain case.

but i also found a website that sell 70-80s Honda motorcycle engines (remakes of course), it would be 70-110cc 4 speed with either manual or automatic clutch. it would be an awesome engine to get speed... but would require LOTs of :grind::hammer::hack::weld: and if i mess up somewhere i might just end up with big pile of :001_9898: and in that situation I would :freakout:

I think for now I will just use the lawn tractor tire as temporary uses... until I can find a Paddle tire... but i aim still trying to debate using your ideas and use a track... if I can ever find an old snow blower track...

I even got the idea of using a track from a child snowmobile called an arctic cat kitty cat... its 10 inches wide and 53 inches in lengh... i would even be able to use bogey wheels to keep the track on the machine... that would cost me a total of approx 200$ to make

thanks for showing interest in my project!!! and i will be posting pictures sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, I see, using a paddle tire will be good. I just thought that you where going to use a generic mini bike tire with not much tread. One of the members on this forum, Jeep2003, made a bike with snow blower tracks in the front and back and he used it year round. But the paddle tire will hook good. :thumbsup:

delray

stormer9494, i have been playing around with a snow bike this last winter. with what little snow we got and i live in the north. it was a bad winter for snow. snowmobile trail was open maybe 2 or 3 days.
couple different tracks you can find. big track or a small track. i use a big track on my gilson/wards frame

one thing i found out is my track has plenty of grip in the snow and also the way it is set up for gearing from factory it was not the best for top speed. so there will be some changes in that and for a front ski i tryed a old rupp ski and it was terrible. could not balance the bike with having that center grove or rail has some of you ski guys may call it. i end up using a flat 2X6 board(over a foot 1/2 long) has a test run and the bike balance 10x better and could still steer the bike too. some other things i like to try is a flat short ski in front of the track unit. something like a snow runner bike was made and maybe if needed is two small narrow flat ski's next to the track unit for more balance.......:shrug:something that i will just have to wait and see.:shrug:
you talk about a V-tread tire. that might work ok on hard pack snow and will still probable have a balance problem too. seen couple super bronc's setup like this and the guys are always putting down there feet to keep them self's balance.

here is a mock up picture of it.

had to go with a live bearing setup

I think fat grippy tires work better than tracks . especially with alot of power like a rotax or even a torque converter bike. the snowblower tracks just arnt designed for abuse like that. the plastic bogies tend to slip especially in the mud. i blew a track off my 2wd bike even as slow as it goes. Itll hold up ok if your just cruising around in mild conditions but i dont think thats what your going for. Tinkering with a homemade track setup every time you ride in the middle of winter is not my idea of a good time. build the swingarm with plenty of room for different types of tires and maby even a tire chain. Youll be much better off if you expect to ride it alot

delray

one thing i found out about the track unit, not made for speed without modifying it. right now with the track rework and the gearing setup. the bike go's 20mph(radar gun). big thing now for my bike is to get good balance and handling. one thing about a bike with a tire on the back, your still going to have to try to balance it without the tire sliding out on you. with the flat track i don't get that and for getting stuck in snow i don't really have that problem now with the speed the bike has. unless the snow is a solid foot of unpack snow...........:laugh:......:doah:

I dunno man.. I've tried them all in the snow.. And I swear to God this little 4 inch Cheeftah flat out dominates in the snow... A track bike would be cool. But a big rear tire on a minibike just spins out. A smaller tire chews down and finds dirt and throws it into a rooster tail. Stand on the rear tire and let the engine scream, and theres no stopping it.. :scooter:

Here's the bike

I tool the back tire off... but I still have to take the front one off and remove the jack shaft and swing arm...

the frame is still very solid... and little to no rust.

proof shes and old fox

don't know what I will do with the chrome rear fender... I think I might just sell it... anyone interested??

here is a snowbike I saw at the waconia sled show this winter
I forget who made those, but I know they where build as an all terrain bike. I remember seeing a brochure for these. Cool bikes, only thing that makes me a little hesitant is the neck and forks, kind light duty for something to be used off road. :shrug: