Dans First Build - 6.5 hp mini bike

Just in case anyone thought I was slacking off or lost interest this is not true.
I had to build a stainless towel rail for the misses and bike table for my boss a while on a roll thought I would quickly finish the hanging shelves in the workshop to clean up some clutter on the couter tops.

Oh and I took the bike for another spin really need a seat.:thumbsup:

HHERmppphhh.
That was a rough weekend away at my cousins wedding.
Got back late Sunday and only had 2 hours in the shop.
Fabbed up a addjusting bracket for behind the motor to tension it up. Should have ordered and idler sprocket with my clutch.

Then I have been a little unhappy with the tail end seen a lot of frames kink to narrow the seat area so I welded in a piece of round tube to support the frame and fender I will make. Then cut a chunk out of the top bar so I can heat and bend this closed.

I know this is not the way you're suposed to build \ a bit backyard and unplanned, but it is my first build so I had a beer and forgave myself.

MD,

Very new to this you'll have to elaborate what you mean by a long run.
I would really appreciate direct input for all members on the forum my chain was a bit slack and I have seen a lot of guys put a small arm with a sprocket and spring on it.
I am running a #35 chain. May I ask do you think I need a chain tensioner or should I just pull it up tight with the motor.

PS I don't let William weld at all - hate being upstaged by a 2 year old:laugh:

Onward and Upward.

Love Saturday mornings.
The fenders looked odd on there own so had to rush to fit them to the bike to give me some persective - very happy with the result.
Welded on brackets to hold the rear fender still want to put a reinforcement place underneath.

When I welded on the bracket for the front fender it looked out of place so I welded in a plate with some holes for effect.

Brakes next

Guys do I need a chain tensioner or will I be alright without one?

A chain tensioner would be the way to go,if you tighten your chain by the motor to keep the chain from falling off it just wears out the clutch faster.your back fender mount would benefit from a piece of flat metal under it to keep the fender from rocking on the round tube.Just weld a piece to the underside of the round tube.Bike looks good.:thumbsup:

Thanks Rocco.:thumbsup:
Now all i have to do is find a #35 chain sprocket - might have to make one from scracth.

Starting to really appreciate the bikes you guys have when you realize how much work goes into them

The fenders fit good Tank. :thumbsup: And yes, a chain tensioner would be the way to go, a spring chain tensioner would actually be best. Here is a pic of one I built on my DB30.

I have a spring tensioner on all my bikes except one.

The sweat runneth off my brow.
Feel like I am falling behind - the last little things seem to take the most time.

Welded on plates for rear & front fender - thanks for the sugestion Rocco

Then I cut a plate for the Clutch brake system used a band clamp bonded with a old belt from our moudling machine, it will have to do for now , can always order a band brake later.

Clutch cover is a funny shape, but you'll see what i have instore for it later.

Thanks for the input guys - would have come up short with out it

Nice chain guard bud. :thumbsup: It turned out great, kinda looks like one of them Bonanza ones. I like this build a lot because you made damn near everything yourself, that is in the true spirit of mini biking. And you do a great job of everything you have made. :drinkup:

Well only have a chain tensioner and seat left to fab then the painting can begin.
When I entered it was not originally for the build off - my thread got moved here, but the motivation from you guys has been great.
This said I wanted to finish the bike as I envisioned and if I make the end date so be it.

So I started fabbing my kick stand - quite happy with it only had to re-drill the spring hole twice:laugh:

Then go figure with all this free time comming up to finish - I was adjusting a wheel on the moulder at work and bent my left thumb nail back off the bed - damn it was sore- so for the rest of the day I tryed not to use it for anything and was pussy footing around with a ratchet clamp and BAM it grabed the front of my sore thumb and now look.

Almost impossible to work in the shop when you can't hold stuff - oh well Africa's a tough country so we push on

Look Harry Potters Thumb:laugh: