does octain boster do any thing?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I use to run octane booster a while back.
It didn't give me any power, but it made my carb run much better.
I could never get the jetting correct with this old 24mm slide carb I had. But when I run the 104 octane boost it would work perfect. Once I got tired of paying for the boost, I got rid of the carb.

Can't say it made me run faster, because once I changed carbs it ran good with a tillotson carb without the boost. At the same RPM level, but the tilly doesn't idle smooth like the slide carb. Plus the slide carb had a choke.

Unless your detonating then no, octane booster is not going to give you any increase in HP. Most octane boosters on the market are 90% Toulene. You can buy Toulene in hardware stores in the paint department for about 1/4 of the price if you want to save some money. Toulene is 114 Octane and unless you mix it in high percentages it won't do anything. For example 10 gallons of gas at 87 and 1 gallon of 114 = 89.4 and thats a 10% mix! At higher percentages you may need to rejet the carburetor.

All octane is, is a resistance to detonation rating. High temperatures and high compression requires higher octane or the engine will ping and run like crap. Most race gas will make more power because of the fact that it burns slower, slower burning fuel will actually make more power. You may want to check this out, fuel octane vs power.html Unless your engine is totally tweaked out don't waste your money on boosters or race gas.

Air cooled engines can some times benefit from 92 oct gas in hot weather. But then again only if its pinging.

Jordon

Higher octane fuel can actually make a car slower if it doesn't need the octane. I've noticed this in some of my Pontiacs that i used to street race. I had a buddy tell me that he noticed this with his Pontiac without me ever bringing it up.

harborfreight.com. I think hes tellin you to get a bigger engine. a 6.5 HP is about 110 bucks there. Or find a 3.5 HP edger or 5 HP briggs or somethin on craigslist or wherever.

or

go downhill only.

Way back in the 1970's I sold in my mini bike store Fransisco Laboratories ( Moon Gas ) and it was then about $8.00 for 5 gallons and gas was about $.38 per gallon. Most of this went into the Go Karts in two stroke McCulloch engines. But I did run the Moon Gas in my Briggs 5 HP I just liked the smell of the race fuel.
I also sold one brand of additive by Klotz it was called Nitro Racing Additive and another was Blue Blazer. Mix that into a high octane pump gas with some Blendzal caster bean oil and a bunch of hot Karts came alive and the smell of the burning fuel just turned up the need for speed.
I had some street racers that would buy the Klotz Nitro for their Saturday night runs and they said it improved their mid range and took the bog out of their carb adjustment.
I always run premium gas in my Kohler snowmobile powered trike engines. And the VW 1776 CC Skatt engine for my new Trike will be set up for 92 octane.
Steve :scooter: