Doodlebug Aftermarket Wheels and HD Brake upgrade

I put wheels like that on a Fox street scamp a few years ago,they came off a X7 pocket bike.I also used the rear swing arm (mono shock)and front forks,used the fenders and footpegs too.Here are some pics of it.
Those wheels should be a good upgrade for that bike.:thumbsup:
nice!

I need to figure out the front end on this thing, too, possible either narrow it, or change it... took measurements today to figure out the options...

not much done today on it, pretty busy with other stuff... lol... but, got the measurements i need to make the spacers... the front shorter spacer is the right length, can cut the longer one to match...

front wheel

in between front fork legs

take the larger distance subtract the shorter and divide by two to get the length needed for each spacer...

just happens to be very very close to the stock shorter spacer... made two marks on the longer spacer and used tape to keep my cut line true...

Last edited:
got a little more progress done today...

after a couple of hours trying to manually mount these tires :censure:, took them down to a tire shop and had them mounted...

$20- tires mounted
new total for tires/wheels -$239.46

ended up needed to shave the front spacers down to around 2 1/16" from 2 1/8... easy fix with a grinder...

got the sprocket and rotor mounted... after test fit, the 3/4" spacers were needed on the sprocket side along with the longer bolts and the 1/2" spacers were needed on the rotor side, with the shorter bolts... this would put the disc right in the middle of the caliper...

Last edited:
did some math to get the approx. length of the spacers needed for the rear... put the rear tire on and remeasured, spacers were cut at 1.25" for each side (give or take a thousandth)..

tire sits right in the middle, sprocket and rotor line up good! plenty of clearance for the large caliper too!

Last edited:
tire sits where it should... i will be addressing the fenders here shortly, they need some attention, probably lowered, narrow, add some metal to the sides and trim to more closely match the wheels... not sure just yet...

brakes on and bled... for now, have to figure out a front brake caliper and foot brake for the rear... dont mind how the line is ran, thats temp... the rear brake line will be much smaller and come off a rear mounted master cylinder...

hope i can get the bike going 70-75+ and test them out, before breaking all this down...

2SlickNick

Thank you for this thread! I just purchased an X7 rear wheel ( thinking stock db sprocket would fit; dohh) now just need to find a sprocket and disk to fit the rim mount pattern.

2SlickNick

Got most of the hardware, the sprocket, rotor and spacers in...

again, to save a little money you can just grab the stuff from a local hardware store, and cut your own bushing/spacers up... also, the 54t sprocket was around $36. you can source a stock style one for around $12, however, IMHO, it does not "look as cool"... $36 for the sprocket was reasonable to me... or find the wheels, tires, etc off craigslist, ebay or wherever and shave a little off the cost... being that I am going to attempt to paint the wheels, i wanted it in great condition to begin with... and there is the whole impatient thing...

Where would I be able the find the stock style for $12?
All I can find is metric sprocket that fits metric roller chain...

Where would I be able the find the stock style for $12?
All I can find is metric sprocket that fits metric roller chain...
the stock sprocket may work, im not sure i even tried the stock one, as this was a while ago, i don't remember... but i believe i simply want to change the gear ratio to a specific ratio.. check the pattern... you have to be careful sourcing aftermarket sprockets for this wheel, as some are not for #35 chain, the one i used was made for #35 chain...

ironically this bike has recently been cut up... had been taken apart, parts gotten rid of or given away... and frame sat for a while... this past week i took a bunch of parts i didnt want, or want to get rid of.. and put it on the bike, with a few small changes...

how it is sitting right now... wish i could find that sprocket and that brake rotor... lol.. smh! but ill use the stock db stuff for the rear... need to find the hyd brake caliper too, somewhere in the pile of sh#t,,,

project doodoobug
was going to put a vtwin.. but since i hope to get rid of it fairly quick... ended up putting a gx390 clone on it (new but had been sitting for years)...