Drift Trike Build

As she sits today. Hope to get the gas tank mounted tonight.
[/QUOTE]

You might want to try flipping the handle bar over. I flipped the bars on mine and they were a lot more friendly. Yours look pretty good like they are but you never know until you try. I also flipped the head stem to the rear for a little less reach. Again yours doesn't look bad like it is. My bars are pretty straight and didn't have the rise like yours. You could loosen the 4 bolts holding the handle bar flip it forward and rotate the front wheel 180 degrees for a looksee...

Are you going to add a cross brace to tie the end of the down tube and the side bars together?

I like the BMX peg for a handle. That will get saved for future applications.

Doug

You might want to try flipping the handle bar over. I flipped the bars on mine and they were a lot more friendly. Yours look pretty good like they are but you never know until you try. I also flipped the head stem to the rear for a little less reach. Again yours doesn't look bad like it is. My bars are pretty straight and didn't have the rise like yours. You could loosen the 4 bolts holding the handle bar flip it forward and rotate the front wheel 180 degrees for a looksee...

Are you going to add a cross brace to tie the end of the down tube and the side bars together?

I like the BMX peg for a handle. That will get saved for future applications.

Doug
The handlebars are pretty comfortable as is. When I assemble I'm going to try flipping the stem around but I think it's going to look and function best as is. I'm going to cut the remainder of the bike top tube cut away and then add a gusset. I don't plan to further tie into bottom of the frame unless I have issues. I'm trying to finish mocking everything up, then blow it apart for final welding, then reassemble. I'll get plenty of ride time on it to test and troubleshoot before I take it apart for paint and powdercoat.

I cleaned up where I had cut the top tube off the bike frame today so I could make a gusset.

I decided to cut open the top tube of the bike and use that as the gusset. Some grinding and spreading of it and I had a decent gusset. It goes farther down the frame than I originally planned but that's not a bad thing.

I also got a mount made for my gas tank and made some progress on welding my gas tank. If all goes well I finish them tomorrow.

Sorry for the lack of posts. I got more caught up in trying to get this built for Sunday and less worried about taking pics.

This was last week, building a "roll bar". I thought it looked good and would keep you from leaning into anything hot or any moving parts.

This would go in the roll bar behind the seat.

I finished welding the bosses for the front brake on the forks.

I took the tacked up frame to my uncle's business so I could weld it up. I wanted to us a MIG instead of TIG for purposes of being much faster.

I then brought the frame back to my shop to clean up and assemble. At this point the frame was so many different shades of black and gray and burnt paint that it was hard to see what what going on so I did a quick spray paint job so I could see what was going on.

I did some a little more welding, grinding, and cleaning up of the frame and then another quick spray paint job, now in a lovely beige. Time to start assembly.

Need to get some work done but more pics and hopefully video to come.

More assembly

At that point it was time to call it a night. I had worked for 11 hours on Sunday and I needed to get home. Sunday I finished what I could then headed to my parents with all my other mini bikes. At my parents I got a chain made and got the throttle hooked up. I'm not thrilled with the way the throttle is hooked up but it was good enough to ride for the first time. I ran out of time to get a clutch guard or chain guard built or installed. The brand new chain was throwing oil forward so some corrugated plastic served as a temporary shield.

My cousin riding

Overall I'm very pleased. The only issue I have is if you spin 180* and the wheels roll backwards the chain will pop off. My hope was that the clutch would release and let the belt freewheel but I think that just isn't happening fast enough and I guess something just has to give. I know there are some adjustments/springs that can be played with in a 30 series torque converter but I don't know what adjustments have what effect. Is there an adjustment that can be made thaw would make the clutch release faster?

It's pretty comfortable to ride and much more stable than I expected whether drifting or not. With the sleeves it actually slides much better on the road than in grass. I think it would slide better in the grass with bare tires but I didn't take the time to do that. The front brake is pretty worthless. I know some people have used disc brakes up front and I'm sure that would work better. I'll probably keep these on just in case but they are only better than nothing. The rear brake works great. It's easy to apply gently or lock up stop pretty quickly. We did plenty of handbrake slides with no hints of flat spotting of the sleeves. The OldMiniBikes sleeves seem pretty tough and should last awhile. I wouldn't mind if they were a little slicker.

Maybe this will work....I'm having a hard time to posting from youtube . [video=youtube_share;YKD97jKUn1g]https://youtu.be/YKD97jKUn1g[/video]

Looks like a very fun ride, thanks for posting !

Last edited: