Engine ID Questions and Upgrades

I've spent days reading and researching on what motor I have I still don't know for sure.

I've came to the conclusion that I should just open it up and go from there.

Specs I know about Engine :

on a Baja warrior mb200 minibike. Dealer said its a rato r200 which indeed it is stamped on block along with engine serial num.
Dealer said it was a predator style. Punching in engine specs led me to other engines with jf200 names.

I first thought I had an old predator. Then I thought I had a gx200 clone because of jf200 findings.

Here are specs from manual

bore and stroke = 2.68 x 2.13 inches (68 x 54.1 mm)
displacement = 196cc
compression ratio = 8:5:1
valve clearance = IN: 0.15 +- 0.02 mm
EX: 0.20 +- 0.02 mm

Ignition = TCI
Spark Plug = NGK BP6ES

So once I open this up how will I tell what I have ? Measure cam ? Crankshaft?

My goal as of now is to swap out the cam, springs, rod, flywheel, adjust timing, add header and muff, add air intake, bore carb, and add tav2-30

Don't know what section to order from due to confusion (old predator, new predator, Honda clone ???? )

Thanks for some help !!

Oh and I'd like to add that the crankshaft is threaded type where a lug nut is needed to install tav2.

i also visited local harbor freight to see if any engine looked familiar. Only thing close was display model which had a different head and had r210 stamped. Mine has r200 and a weird round symbol and a - 48 following it.

Last edited:
I'll post some pics as well. I was thinking of doing a crank but seems to get beyond my skill level. I've never opened a small engine up and I'd like to learn with my boy about it. But reading about cranks led me to believe I had to have machine work and balance. Anyway not trying to go hard core yet. Be a nice process for him to see a few different parts at a time and what each one does for it. I'm pretty excited too not gonna lie

and while we are at it could we touch on this scenario ? What if I ordered a clone cam and I actually had a predator ? no way its gonna fit or could some grinding be done to make it work ?

Clone to be or not to be that is the question

My Baja MB200 had a Hensim 6.5 196cc on it.. externally its a dead ringer for a clone.
My Baja was biult in 2006 and sold by Canadian tire as a Baja mini.
Can tire sells a 7hp clone motor off the shelf made by Rato, (same as Predator) NOT the same motor as my Baja.
Im not 100% but who can be before their inside, but id say youve got a clone, and all the clone parts will fit.

Last edited:
To late to edit my other post But if your motor says Rato then it will be a Rato, probly early style. what year is it? My Hensim doesnt say Rato on it just some seial #s
I dont know but maybe earlyer Ratos where 196 clones and then they went 212 and the predator came about.

Looks like a Rato smells like a Rato sounds like a Rato Must be a Rato........HaHa

So are we looking at a 196cc version of the Predator?

Your Rato R200 valve cover is clone were the off the shelf Rato R210 III that im hot-rodding right now has a predator (hexagon) valve cover and RTC-6 head.

I think the only thing different about the aftermarket Pred cam and the aftermarket Clone cam is the size of the end, where it sits in the case. Check that with some good calipers. I would talk to someone when ordering your parts. Don't just order online. I'd call Jerry Dover from Also Visit the NEW : doverpower.com or Tim Isky from STORE. Those guys know there stuff. If you have measurements, they'll be able to put together exactly what you need.

As for swapping the cranks, I think he was just offering a crank that wasn't threaded. You'll probably have the same stroke, and it should be a direct swap. The only difference would be the threaded end. That's up to you. If you're into the threaded crank, then keep it.

These motors are very easy to work with. You can learn a lot from this site, YouTube, and other sites like Bob's 4 Cycle Karting- America's Largest Karting Community.. There are many knowledgeable folks on here that have been building these engines for a long time. You can make your build mild or wild, it's up to you and your wallet. Have fun, and post up pics.

You'll have to check on flywheel measurements. I think there is a slight difference in the taper of the shaft, or something like that. I wish I could be of more help. I haven't cracked open my Hemi yet, and I think I'll leave it stock because I'm too cheap to build a second motor. I've built up a Hemi with my buddy, but he ordered all of the parts. I can probably get you all the part numbers if yours is a Hemi clone. He ordered from NR racing. I've got a clone that I stuck all kinds of goodies in, and it's a blast. I'm not a builder. I just read as much as I could, talked with Jerry Dover, and bought what he recommended. I also emailed back and forth with Isky, and he had good advice. I also am about 45 minutes away from Comet Kart Sales in Indiana, and those guys were helpful as well. The build was a blast, and I actually did some if it with a group of kids after school (I teach third grade). I wanted to give them an opportunity to see how the motor works, and why these upgrades would help it produce more power. All of my other engine work consists of minor mods, diagnosing problems, and rebuilding stock stuff. I'm sure you can handle one of these builds!

I was just making an observation here....., you've got a brand new bike, maybe 2 rides on it, the plastic bag is still on the seat and your looking to hot-rod the motor! Dude are you gona be happy with a cam and flywheel? I don't think so.
Your in the same boat as me with my Baja mb200... that's right, "Go big or go home".
The Mb200 was made for a big block, ether 390 or 420.
A 115% increase in displacement (420), 2x the horsepower right off the hop with 4x to 5x easily attainable.
The choice is clear.
When im done doin the swap on mine im gona call it the ''Baja Monster' !!!

Last edited:
Lol that crossed my mind too .. But this bike is indeed for my boy and a learning experience..

we are gonna pick up an additional bike and that one will be mine .. And most likely will get the next size motor .. Nice catch on the plastic but we've been riding the heck outta it..

Hi. My Baja MB200 that I got last August also had that motor OEM. All I know is that it is a 6.5 hp Honda clone and that it works! :thumbsup:

I don't care in particular who made it hehe.