fell off today.

yep, took out one of my customers bike after working on it, i had just done an oil change and wanted to run the bike with fresh oil, i got onto an empty street and went a little faster, i had used safety wire to hold the choke in place, a section of it got caught in the return spring and held the throttle wide open, i tried to shut down the engine but was going to fast and hit a bump in the road, nearly went over the bars...

luckily i had my helmet on, couple dings and scratches that weren't done to my head, this is the second accident ive been in, and both ive walked away from without serious injury, knock on wood.

wear your helmets, most of us on this site are speed demons, so lets continue to be speed demons safely.

on the other hand though, the customer has informed me that the carburetor dumped gas previously before, and it has been doing since after the crash, every time i try to start it, it sprays gas from the carb and header, and will not start, i figured it was from being on its side while running, and it super flooded, any ideas?????????

Feed it some rice and fish stock and a dash of soy sauce :shrug:
Glad your OK and where was the all important kill button ?
stuck float ?

Last edited:
The first safety part any bike should have is a kill switch you can activate with your thumb. Most of the crashes I know about were caused by runaway engines.

if you don't have the patience to wire a kill switch, you can always do this. this one is pictured on a briggs, but you can put it on a clone too, or ANY motor. easy to yank on, just keep track of where it is hanging off the frame.:thumbsup:

if you don't have the patience to wire a kill switch, you can always do this. this one is pictured on a briggs, but you can put it on a clone too, or ANY motor. easy to yank on, just keep track of where it is hanging off the frame.:thumbsup:

:laugh: ... That's some RedNeck shit ... :thumbsup:

I'm far from a redneck, but it's something that will save you a lot of pain and repairs in the wrong situation!! It's a trick I learned watching junior dragsters at the strip. And yes, I guess now that I think of it, a lot of them were rednecks. hah!

I'm far from a redneck, but it's something that will save you a lot of pain and repairs in the wrong situation!! It's a trick I learned watching junior dragsters at the strip. And yes, I guess now that I think of it, a lot of them were rednecks. hah!
I hope you weren't insulted ... That was not my intension ... And it's not bad being a RedNeck ... Just ask my friends :laugh:

I hope you weren't insulted ... That was not my intension ... And it's not bad being a RedNeck ... Just ask my friends :laugh:
Redneck Engineering is a common term and not an insult at all. I just means you can figure stuff out on the fly.

Oh, and by the way; the zip tie trick is fine for karters and other 4 wheel stuff, but is NOT a substitute for a handle bar kill switch on a bike. If you take your hands off a runaway bike, YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY CRASH.

I know this is a stupid question, but where do you purchase a kill switch?
You can get one right here OldMiniBikes.com - Discount & Replacement Mini Bike Parts
When I was a kid my buddys little sister raced a QA50 in little tikes motocross and his dad used an old set of points from a car mounted to the bars with a small wedge of wood to keep them open with a tether around her wrist, if she fell off the wood came out and killed the bike

Many Thanks guys! I just ordered two from OldMiniBikes. Thanks also for recommending that every mini-bike should have one. It might come in handy someday.