flat top piston

vette66_00

not upside down but in backward. Not sure how much damage it would do but there is a reason why they are suppose to go a certain way.

yes the arrow points down toward the base mount , i just had one apart the other day .. sometimes the wrist pin if offset ,, valve reliefs are on one side and not the other . lots of reasons for a piston to be installed corectly ,, dont know about this engine ,, not sure what the differance would be ,, but it is marked one way

Last edited:
yes it,s in right , i lucked out .you can pull the plug out and look inside and see the numbers at the top of the piston , i thought i would have to take it apart to see but i didnt .

vette66_00

Honestly I don't think it would make a difference which way it's installed. Either way you will be increasing compression.
The problem with that is it is designed to be in a certain way. Backward could cause issues. I have had performance Honda pistons (Honda and performance lol) where one of the skirts is longer on one side to clear the crank (car stroker motor). There is a reason why there is a Dot or arrow on a piston is not just to admire. :wink:

With just a flat top piston you are not gaining that much really maybe .2 cr, but they help alot when in combination with head and block milling.

Last edited:
The problem with that is it is designed to be in a certain way. Backward could cause issues. I have had performance Honda pistons (Honda and performance lol) where one of the skirts is longer on one side to clear the crank (car stroker motor). There is a reason why there is a Dot or arrow on a piston is not just to admire. :wink:

With just a flat top piston you are not gaining that much really maybe .2 cr, but they help alot when in combination with head and block milling.
OK I have ran into piston shirt clearance issues when using the piston that comes with the 5.5's that have 18cc head. I found out the hard way, assembled motor, went to turn it over by hand and bam, shirts were hitting the counterweights. I believe the piston was a Z01(not positive). Had it machined and reinstalled it with no issues. Now the 5.5 piston that cam with the 14cc head will drop in I know for a fact(either way), I've done it with no problems. But yeah your right, these motors should be assembled the way the book says.

Last edited: