Fords Are Way Better Than Chevys

Oldsalt

So....Ford and Mopar didn't so something similar in 1970? SCJ 428s 440 six pacs? Boss 429s, Hemi Cudas and Challengers? Were these cars considered, slow?
Not slow...just not fast enough. A friend, which was wise enough to keep his muscle car, a 70 Super Bee with a std trans, cowl induction, Hemi and etc. agrees with this. The problem is defining a muscle car. If you include the COPO GM cars there is certainly no contest with anything else ever built. But a 'stock' muscle car is generally defined as a car that ANYONE could order off a normal order sheet at their dealer in any town. The L-88 Corvette does not qualify for two reasons. 1. It is a two seater. 2. It is of such low production [46 cars?] that no one can argue that it was commonly available to the public. Ford did build some 'Boss' things but they were not, in any spirit of the word, 'available to the public'.

This problem still exists in the minds of some. I see posts that say a certain new car is 'faster' than another company's offering. The problem is that one is truly a 'stock' car...the other a machine that there will only be a few built and at horrendous price. In short Corporate Trinkets [like the Viper] are, for all intents and purposes, 'non-cars'.

Neck

Growing up is optional
OK, my next question. How fast was an LS6 Chevelle off the showroom floor, rolling on stock wide oval tires in the quarter mile?

Last edited:
There will be an occasional argument from a MoPar guy but the LS-6 cleaned the plow of anything Dodge ever built. Ford never was in the running and knowledgeable Blue Oval dudes [that were there] don't even raise their voice.
Didn't the big three race on dream car garage and the Boss 429 beat the LS6 and the Hemi Cuda? It won the slalom too. Really, all this is apples and oranges. If someone buys a muscle car old or new odds are they're not going to leave it stock. All I've learned on the street/strip is the person with the deepest pockets brings home the most bread.

Oldsalt

The 13.7 I believe was a Car and Driver time. It was with an auto trans. C&D back then always added a passenger [!] so that the issue would be confused. They have always been ding-dongs and have gotten much worse since the early seventies. Dream garage or not...back then if you wanted the fastest muscle car you found yourself an LS-6. It used the same sized tires as a Cobra except that the LS-6 had 14 inch rims, not 15" like the British Cobra [a big advantage]. The Cobra [weighing almost 1000 lbs. less] beat out the LS-6 by 1/10th second. And of course the Cobra was a two seater sports car and can't legitimately be included with the 'sedan' muscle car.

The 13.7 I believe was a Car and Driver time. It was with an auto trans. C&D back then always added a passenger [!] so that the issue would be confused. They have always been ding-dongs and have gotten much worse since the early seventies. Dream garage or not...back then if you wanted the fastest muscle car you found yourself an LS-6. It used the same sized tires as a Cobra except that the LS-6 had 14 inch rims, not 15" like the British Cobra [a big advantage]. The Cobra [weighing almost 1000 lbs. less] beat out the LS-6 by 1/10th second. And of course the Cobra was a two seater sports car and can't legitimately be included with the 'sedan' muscle car.
That was a Car Craft test indeed. They were grossly underrated. I wish that engine was offered on a 68-69. They are my favorite.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Neck

Growing up is optional
Well, in your neighborhood the LS6 may have been King, but not mine. Muscle cars weren't really top dog in the LA area at all. Back in the "good old days" we had no less than four Drag Strips in a fifty mile radius, Lyons in San Pedro, Irwindale in the foot hills, Pomona and Orange County International Raceway. And we had some REALLY fast cars running around! Geez I miss those days!

Neck

Growing up is optional
I remember when I used to work in the gas station down the street from my house, there was this guy that used to come in all the time, he had a 67 Fairlane with an FE427 that had dual quads and a top loader 4 speed, Dam I wanted that car! I asked him how fast it was (you know, that stupid 16 year old boy question) He just said, "I don't get beat too often!"