Found me a Cat 400x

Hey gang,

Sunday, I dropped in on an old friend I hadn't seen in quite some time. 10 years ago I had given him a Briggs 2hp cast iron engine and I was interested in getting it back.

He told me he didn't remember it at all??? Oh well, I then told him that I was now into messing around with minibikes.

His eyes lit up and he said "I gotta minibike!" "It's over there by the shed all covered up, lemme show ya."

I didn't know what to expect, good or bad? He pulled the covers off this beautiful 400x Cat! I couldn't believe it!

He expained he bought it a few years ago from his brother in law, the original owner for $100. Said it was a 1986 model!!! uh huh, riiiiight.

We rolled the bike out, knocked the spiders off, pulled the rope 3 times and rode it around the yard.

After drooling all over it, I inquired if he would be willing to part with it. He was surprised that I even wanted it. What would you take for it I asked, he replied, well I paid a hundred.

Gees, I couldn't stand giving him only a hundred, so I told him I'd pay $150. He jumped at the offer. Well, it now resides in my garage.

Check this sweety out, only a few non original items that I can spot. Hand throttle is off an old Honda, the footrest covers are from a bicycle and unfortunatly, some drilled the rear fender, installed headlight and tail light powered by a 4 D cell battery pack hanging off the handlebars in a nylon bag with a switch taped to the bars. Welp, it could have been LOTS worse!
Bob

Here are a few more shots.

I'm no genius at Cats. I'm guessing this to be an early 70's model, with the Tec HS40 on it. Anybody help with the exact year ID?

45t

Very nice bike! I'd pull that battery operated stuff off and keep the rest of the bike like it is. Its a very close original survivor. Its hard to find them like that. It looks like your chain tensioner has been replaced by a previous owner. OldMiniBikes warehouse sells a nice repop of the original.

Like Derek said, Sign up to me a member of the Cat Owners Group. There is a lot of info in there for Cat owners.

Your bike is a keeper! Good Score! :drool:

I'm thinking I need to drop in on some old friends now. :wink:

Wow!!

Thanks everyone, the kind words are appreciated.

45T pretty much hit it on the head for what my plans are. Just clean her up, find a few replacement goodies and dump the battery pack and lights.

I'm kicking around stripping and repainting the HS40 as someone already gave it a shoddy repaint.

Also, thanks for the invite to the owners group, I joined up and am patiently awaiting the hazing.:thumbsup:

Bob