frame mounted gas tank

I am thinking about putting a frame mounted gas tank on my doodlebug. Does anybody have any good ideas on which gas tanks work best for the doodlebug, and any pics, and where to get them at?

i made a round gas tank out of 2 3/4 plumbing pipe, it sits between the frame rails with the filler in front of the seat it work decently but im working on a better oval one thats going to be bigger

Plumbing pipe is heavy.:thumbdown:

I just made a custom exhaust header with it and it must weigh like 5lbs.

I got my gas tank, or more like gas bottle from ebay.:thumbsup:

Why do you want a frame mounted gas tank?

You could look at cjtmini bike on this site he done some real nice db30 bikes. His has the black minibike gas tank on top of the frame and I think he got it of ebay. Check with him.

here's mine. everything is just mocked up for now (waiting on the plate from cjtmini). i'm not sure if i'm going to leave it there, i may try mounting it on the grab handle at the back.

I got a 3/4 gallon tank off of ebay for mine. Its actually for a motorized bicycle kit. I'll try to get a picture of it up tomorrow. They have them in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 gallon sizes, but the 1 gallon was too long. The tricky part was mounting it. And I had to make a shorter seat pan to have it fit. It took a good day of working to get everything right, but its nice to have something to hug your legs around.

Here is a link to his ebay store where I bought it. I did have to ask for a 3/4 gallon as it wasn't listed. I also got it with the fuel shut off valve, as it wasn't included.

In the end it was a fair bit of work, but was worth it.

Last edited:
Here is a quick picture of how the tank I mentioned above turned out:

I used the original seat cover and foam, just made a new seat pan out of plywood. Gets the job done and didn't cost anything.

I just used the original gas tank that came with the bike and made a plate so I could mount it directly to the top of the frame. There is just enough space to mount it and still be able to turn the handlebars. I still need to paint it. Check out my pics to see. :smile:

I set a motorized bicycle tank on mine (with the seat off) and it fits fairly well, a bit far back but that's without mods. Someone on this sight has one and it looks good, a little work and a shorter 12" seat and it will look and fit fine! I get mine for $20+10 for shipping at spookytooth cycles the cheapest I have found them.......OK he posted right before me or I just was snoozin, but that is a good idea modifying the seat! I wont be able to do that, I cant sit on the stock seat very long, just not comfortable. Am I still asleep or is that an 11.5 hp ohv on that green machine? Faster than its safety capability, just the way I like them!

Last edited:
Both the front and the rear are Carlisle snowblower tires. The rear is an X-Trac in 15x5.00x6 and the front is a Snowhog in 15x5.00x6.

The X-Trac has very square shoulders. That's why we went with the Snowhog in the front. Since its rounder, it makes turning easier.

Thats actually an old picture. I now have a "desert tank" installed above the brake light (just the OE tank off the B&S motor) because the new 26mm carb sucks the fuel down. Should get a new picture of that up one of these days.

Contact Allen1967 (PM LINK) he is a member here he will make you one. He has caps also. I just used PVC cap but he has a SS one for me now.

On my DB 5/8 gallon 4" X 12" Stainless Steel

Last edited: