Gapless Piston Rings?

I know that in the automotive industry, some guys go with gapless piston rings for a higher compression ratio. Is that possible on a small engine like the 6.5? Or would the compression just be too much. Also, does anyone install super thin head gaskets to achieve the same results?

Oldsalt

Old idea.

AK Racer
This picture is from the May, 1916 issue of "Gas Power" magazine. The ad touts Trump Multiple Piston Rings. It's hard to see in the picture, however, the three rings shown are "keyed" together to form one ring. Again, this is in a 1916 magazine. That was the year that a Model T Ford did not have brass headlights.

For some narrow applications the gapless rings have a place. Don't waste your time and money.

AK Racer
This picture is from the May, 1916 issue of "Gas Power" magazine. The ad touts Trump Multiple Piston Rings. It's hard to see in the picture, however, the three rings shown are "keyed" together to form one ring. Again, this is in a 1916 magazine. That was the year that a Model T Ford did not have brass headlights.

For some narrow applications the gapless rings have a place. Don't waste your time and money.
Old idea yes, but you don't think it's still being done to this day? Check out the link provided above. Total Seal makes gapless ring setups for automotive use. And I've heard of other manufactures doing the same thing, although Total Seal is probably the most popular. I have heard that it works, and works well. I don't see why it would be any different on a small motor than on a large one. I mean, rings are not too expensive, and higher compression equals more horsepower. So the dollar to hp ratio might be worth it? No worry wasting time and money here.. hehe. It would be a lot for me to just remove the governer on my 6.5.

Oldsalt

Certinally, gapless rings are currently available. Again, limited usefulness is why your car, and your minibike engine, did not come with them. A few years ago a friend that likes new things used then in a 340 MoPar. All in all, it didn't come out too well.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I run Total Seal Rings in my bigger all out motors. I ran them in the stock size motors and didn't notice a difference at all.

The bigger and more modified you are the more you notice them.

Oldsalt

I run Total Seal Rings in my bigger all out motors. I ran them in the stock size motors and didn't notice a difference at all.

The bigger and more modified you are the more you notice them.
MDB

And I'll bet you didn't expect to see a difference in stocker type motors. I'm thinking that your opinion is much like mine: Use the time and effort on some other things if we are takling about a neighborhood minibike engine.

Focus on tyres and set up?

A mini handles like a drunk on roller skates. Power, braking and slide through your issues because your not going to stick and handle through them

They don't handle:
Solution more power and better braking.
They will not corner and stick, very difficult to pull over and hold because of short wheel base and center of gravity issues. Solution do not try and stick slide beit and keep the rear end loose.

Oldsalt

A guy can focus on tires and setup IMHO and make a big difference in an old mini that has been down the road a ways.

The tires, especially the front, cannot be square edged. Forget the gapless...spend far fewer bucks on tires and get a far greater reword in performance. Far too many are "handtruck tires".

The steering head on most are worn out. The bolt is usually not even bushed. Drilling out and installing tight fitting bushings and a new bolt may be difficult but a heck of a lot less loot that high zoot rings.

Bent frames and forks are all over the place. Evil handling will always be the result. Putting the frame and fork assembly on the bench and useing squares and levels and plumb bobs to locate the things that are wrong, and then correcting them, will be time consumeing and not much fun but will yeald a minibike that is far safer and handles a lot better.

Ya can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but you can do some chassis tuning that will improve things.