gokart wheels on a minibike? new jackshaft?

Hey all,

I've got an opportunity to get a Gilson frame for virtually nothing. I've heard that it needs work though. Likewise, I also know where I can get some gokart wheels complete with sprocket real cheap. How hard is it to marry them together? Do I just order an axle from somewhere or will it require modification?

Also, this Gilson comes with a jackshaft that I'm being told, has problems. Is it hard or expensive to replace one?

If I'm not using the original wheels, couldn't I just bypass the jackshaft completely and put on a chain tensioner or something?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Oldsalt

The gokart wheel with the sprocket will most likely be a problem to get fitted up to a normal minibike 5/8 axle. If you have the original rear wheel assembly use it. As for the idea of putting a gokart wheel on the front: Don't. The gokart tire has a flat section. You occationally can get away with a flat section tire on the rear but putting one on the front is asking for a really evil handling mini. Possibly a dangerous mini. Post fome pictures of what you have.

Bypassing the jackshaft can be done but unless you are not worried about a really tall final gear ratio, so a smart move would be to keep it. If, for instance, your clutch on the engine is a 12 tooth and the rear sprocket is not at least a 72 you will have trouble unless this is going to be a high speed black top machine. By the way. You would be well served to keep that Gilson as stock as possible. It really is not the kind of machine that should be seriously altered. IMHO. Again, post some pictures.