Good luck

i have tried every sugjestion given to get these bearings out, no luck..after 5 people and a drill, i got them out..anyone thats says they pop out i wonder if they have a doodlebug. i have 5 more bearings to replace...anymore sugjestions..

woodstoockboi, I have a dog in this hunt as well, as I was planning on replacing mine this weekend.:confused: Just so I understand correctly, you already tried tapping them out by inserting a wood dowel rod through the wheel from the opposite side and hitting them out as someone has suggested, to no avail? I wonder if it will be difficult to insert the new ones?:eek:

the problem is the sleeve in the middle butts up to the bearing on both sides, there no lip to hit to move one end or the other..i drilled one bearing out and found out about the other side when the sleeve in the middle came out..no lip to hit..there is a pully at harbor frieght called a "blind hole bearing puller" . the smallest size and then progressing is 3/8. the middle of the bearnig is 12mm. which is larger i ask...12mm or 3/8..the tool is to big from my math...am i wrong?

You are correct Woodstook/ I have blind bearing puller from harbor freight/ 3/8 is slightly bigger than 12mm/ that particular puller will only fit the wheel bearings not the fork bearings. Found this out after buying it!:shrug:

zeeman

I sometimes can use a 12mm socket on a half in. bolt, so I think 12mm is closer to 1/2, but a little smaller. Not sure if this is what you are looking to find out. I can usually push that center sleeve to one side a little in order to get a surface to tap the bearing out, but your set up must be different.

On my old style doodlebug the 3/8'' fits the wheel bearings but not the fork bearings. Different sizes. If you are not worried about your paint you can heat up the metal around the bearing this causes it to expand and should make it easier to get out but will destroy the bearing. Also a good penatrating oil left on overnight does wonders!:thumbsup:

Now that you have them out before you install the new ones you need to modify the insert for future bearing removal by cutting with a grinder and metal cutting disc two slots in each end so you can use a screwdriver to remove the next set of bearings. I did this and it works great for gettting out the bearings, slots dont have to be to long and it will not hurt its function.

zeeman

Just PM me your phone number. I could meet you near KSU, or you can come to my house. Just let me know. No charge. I'd just like to see you get that thing going.

How hard is it to insert the NEW bearings? I am hearing how difficult it is to REMOVE the OLD ones:confused:... do you have to use a hammer/wood block to tap the new ones in, or can they just be pressed fitted by hand? :confused:

i told him to apply the penetrating oil today, but miracles don't happen with that stuff in the matter of hours in most cases. We're talking let it soak overnight, try again, overnight, try again, etc. etc. etc...:hammer:

How hard is it to insert the NEW bearings? I am hearing how difficult it is to REMOVE the OLD ones:confused:... do you have to use a hammer/wood block to tap the new ones in, or can they just be pressed fitted by hand? :confused:
It depends on the bearing recess. Over time the bearing recess (groove/journal) will become looser, but they shouldn't be too hard to insert. Hit the groove with some fine grit sandpaper and it should make your life a whole lot easier when removing them next time.

To answer your question directly. you should be able to press them in by hand, or with a LIGHT tap from a RUBBER OR PLASTIC mallet.

Clyde

Installation--- Put bearings in the fridge for a few hours, shrinks them before installation. Conversely , put empty bearing mount in hot sun or hot hairdryer heat to expand the opening.
I prefer OOO or OOOO steel wool to clean.
Sometimes a super light coating of Never-Seez product if I think they will need removal again.

REMOVAL aid-----3-cycles of gentle heat and cooling using penetrating lube (PB Blaster, Kroil , etc) before attempting use of force.
THEN, gently heat outer 'boss' area that holds bearing ..... then use a chunk of ice (or better dry ice) OR the cold air spray (used to clean computer keyboards) directly onto the actual bearing.
Tap out, or pull while chilled using proper tool.

Last edited:
One thing i did find amazeing when i got the out, they were dry..no grease in them. This perticular bike i bought , was only 3 months old??? go figure. Anyway i got Zeeman on the rest of them...he can do it!