Got a ride in before work ... 2 pics ..

Kevin,
In your second photo, the bike at the top looks like what I have heard referred to as a "Puma", Trailmaster" , and other names. Does that bike have a torque converter? If so, how does it perform for (hilly) trail riding where low speed torque is needed? How does it compare to a Super Bronc? Before my son ended up getting a Super Bronc VT-8 he looked high and low for one of these (specifically one with the T.C.) for over 6 months, however every single distributor was out of stock (even though the website of nearly every one stated it WAS in stock!) at the time as the China manufacturer had ceased production and distribution.
Michael

Last edited:
No TC on that one yet, he has a Comet tav assy ready to go but it will take quite a bit of fab work to make it happen on that Puma........................Tom.

Kevin,
In your second photo, the bike at the top looks like what I have heard referred to as a "Puma", Trailmaster" , and other names. Does that bike have a torque converter? If so, how does it perform for (hilly) trail riding where low speed torque is needed? How does it compare to a Super Bronc? Before my son ended up getting a Super Bronc VT-8 he looked high and low for one of these (specifically one with the T.C.) for over 6 months, however every single distributor was out of stock (even though the website of nearly every one stated it WAS in stock!) at the time as the China manufacturer had ceased production and distribution.
Michael
Well congratulations on your inability to get a Puma ... cool as they look they are not so hot so .... As far as I know they never came with a TC tho I may be wrong .. retro fitting one will not be just a bolt on deal by the sounds of it ... We rode yesterday and I kept the Puma in front of me as it was constantly dying ... we think its an emission problem do do with vacuum. loosen the gas cap and your ok ...

I guess I would take an old Heald over anything I've seen new ... so far ... but I like brussel sprouts too so there is that ....

Kevin, I am sure my son will be much happier with the Super Bronc he ended up getting- sometimes things happen for a reason! Super Broncs seem to be extremely rare here in Southern California, or at least nobody is selling one if they have one. Yes, they ARE making your Puma with a T.C. now (China made, not Comet), however, none of the distributors have any.
Michael