Got this new leftover old style doodlebug.

I bought out the assets of an old cycle dealer and got a coupla unsold Chinese bikes, including this factory stock doodlebug. I'm trying to think about what I might do with it. It runs fine but is gutless with a full size adult or large kid. I know I can (1) go with an 80 tooth sprocket, cost in parts and machining with be about $70-80, (2) a jack-shaft which goes about $110, or (3) a 212cc predator engine which sell about $110 - 150 depending on where one buys it. Before I spend any money, anyone interested in it. I'd hope to get close to $200 and ill throw in a spare front end taken from a warranty bike. I don't need to sell it and it looks like a fun little project so any thoughts and comments welcome. If I do swap the motor, any interest in the stock running one? I have a dead engine from a warranty repair too, which someone might want. This old shop did some of that before the owner passed. Trying to attach photo. IMG_20150719_163823_369_zpsb4tz8hdo.jpg

capguncowboy

I rode TheJoker's mostly-stock Doodlebug a couple of weeks ago. His just has a 6.5hp Predator on it. It had plenty of power, maybe a little more than I wanted it to have! If you keep it, I'd definitely suggest doing that. Harbor Freight has those for $99 almost all the time.

I'm with Andrew (capguncowboy) print you off a coupon off the internet, for Harbor Freight and buy you a 212 Predator...you won't regret it . You will need a 3/4 clutch to.

I'm with Andrew (capguncowboy) print you off a coupon off the internet, for Harbor Freight and buy you a 212 Predator...you won't regret it . You will need a 3/4 clutch to.

Ok, ordered a $99 Predator from HF and a stage 1 mount kit from PMR.

I rode TheJoker's mostly-stock Doodlebug a couple of weeks ago. His just has a 6.5hp Predator on it. It had plenty of power, maybe a little more than I wanted it to have! If you keep it, I'd definitely suggest doing that. Harbor Freight has those for $99 almost all the time.
It wasn't even a hemi.

Now with a new larger engine . . .

I just put a Predator 212 on my DB and it is scary fast!
Here is what mine looks like with the Predator 212. The engine completely fills the engine bay but its governed and I plan to keep it that way.

And an installation hint, as you drill the frame using the PMR mounting plate as a template, drop a bolt and tighten it through the first and second hole before drilling 3 & 4. I used a simple C-clamp but the plate must have moved. My holes were pretty off and had to drill them larger. I put fender washers underneath.

doodlebug1.jpg
doodlebug2.jpg

capguncowboy

That engine fits in there really nicely. Ever since I rode TheJoker's I've been toying with the idea of picking one of these up, but I've gotta' wait until my accounts fill back up first!