guys that race DB'S on dirt tracks

delray

how do you guys hold the front ends down with a 6.5 motor. my friend has a 5hp tecumseh with a torque converter and it's wheelies all the time.:doah: don't get me wrong guys, i like riding it,but have to laugh ever time i give it gas.
i have 3 DB'S for the kids to ride and me/adults. all of them have been regeared with the stock motors and one of them is the first model with the knobby tires and that one really corners good in the grass and dirt. the other two newer db tire designs are ok when it comes to handling in the corners. most of you guys that race them on dirt what tire are you using that works the best.

vette66_00

I don't think anybody races with a torque converter. They will not take the HP most of our engines are putting out. Most of the guys run a 12 clutch and 70-76 rear gear and spin about 7000 rpm's. Just lean forward and learn throttle control. Also when you start modifying these engines you do lose some low end torque so that also helps with keeping the front end down on take off.

So far there are a few sets of tires guys are using. I prefer these tires..

But I have yet be able to get a second one to find out if there any better than the other ones they are using. Like the one on the left in this pic. Also the one on the right is a awesome straight line tire but don't try and turn with it you will find yourself pointed the wrong way.

Last edited:

delray

ok,i kind of though most where running clutch set up's only:thumbsup:. what about tires? whats been working the best on dirt tracks. OP'S I SEE YOU EDITED WITH PICTURES:thumbsup:

vette66_00

The second picture and the tire on the left has 2 different styles. The pictured one and there is one that has the center of the square cut out. 80% of the guys have the square cut out type.

delray

i have set of theses tires too vette, maybe i will have to try them:thumbsup:knobbys do work good also:thumbsup:

Last edited:
i was at a moto cross track with my kx 250 and my db30 so it took it on the track with full size dirtbikes and i was dressed in full motocross gear! and also the bike is just fine on the track with a tav2 the bike made it up a sharp very steep dirt hill easily . i also had to dissapoint some people when i was approaching the big jump and i went real slow over it [i didnt want to hurt my back] p.s. i was at burnt river off road vehicle facility

The tire I run is the carlial knobbie if you look it up on google it will pop up as the replacement tire for the db the tread wraps around the side wall perfect for corners

vette66_00

The tire I run is the carlial knobbie if you look it up on google it will pop up as the replacement tire for the db the tread wraps around the side wall perfect for corners
the carlisle knobby's are THE tire. soft, good tread pattern and easy to dial in air pressure for straight or oval races.

Well there you have it. Constant 1st and 2nd Place Real racers on DB's. If there tire input cant help then there is no help at all.

+1 for the greatest Mini Bike of all time. THE DB30....haha

delray

yes knobbys are a real good tire to use. i can really roll the the bike in the corners with them. the newer tread design likes to skip little in the corners.

im only like 170lbs and im wondering if you big dudes ever have any cracks or other problems with your frames from racing hard?

just wondering how strong the best mini bike is:smile:

delray

i don't race my DB bike,but i can tell you there is no way a person can crack a frame on a DB bike unless you are totally trying to trash it out.:no:
i like my vintage bikes, but alot of the single tubing frames crack real easy. most of the time they would crack next to the tripple tree area or in another spot too.
crazycanuck ,now with that question posted with tire thread, it's probable going to piss someone off again with you saying the best mini bike:doah:
maybe we should say best mini bike to modify:thumbsup:

i don't race my DB bike,but i can tell you there is no way a person can crack a frame on a DB bike unless you are totally trying to trash it out.:no:
i like my vintage bikes, but alot of the single tubing frames crack real easy. most of the time they would crack next to the tripple tree area or in another spot too.
crazycanuck ,now with that question posted with tire thread, it's probable going to piss someone off again with you saying the best mini bike:doah:
maybe we should say best mini bike to modify:thumbsup:
i know like rubbing salt in the wound
but i was just kidding, i like all mini bikes...
would love a vintage american bike something like a rupp or taco but finding one around here is next to impossible.

only thing i was really wondering about was those welds under the motor plate.and maybe problems with bigger motors twisting stuff..:shrug:

so stoked even with the 2.8 putting aroud the street...:scooter:

i know like rubbing salt in the wound
but i was just kidding, i like all mini bikes...
would love a vintage american bike something like a rupp or taco but finding one around here is next to impossible.

only thing i was really wondering about was those welds under the motor plate.and maybe problems with bigger motors twisting stuff..:shrug:

so stoked even with the 2.8 putting aroud the street...:scooter:
My buddy charlie hasn't cracked one yet and he rides the piss out of them. i haven't either but i only weigh about a buck 40. i do have a fairly radical motor thats 14.3:1 and turns 9600rpm that hasn't broke or wound up and warped the motor plate yet :smile: (haed gaskets are my issue :doah:) the lee boys have a hot 13hp motor with a ton of bottom end that hasn't broken it either. shouldn't be too much of a worry with any type of motor combo

Well thanks pepboys yeah I think I put the doodle through more strain then most 320lbs lol haven't had a prob yet and have it for years now jumping and racing that little bike a lot. But the best tire if your wanting an all around tire it is the carlial nobby hands down