Harbor Freight Wheels

yay468

Hello guys. On Sunday, I went to harborfreight to get my Predator 212 and look at wheels. I came home with some 13in wheels with 5in rims with a 5/8 ID. Now. One of my friends is using the wheels, goign 25 MPH, and has had no issues. No wheel damage, and no bearing problems. I still want to replace the bearings. So i would use the 5/8 ID and 1/38 OD bearings from OldMiniBikes, but do I want to use flanged, or regular, or snap? And how do you install wheel bearings then. Thanks!

Use a big punch to knock them out through the inside. I use a soft rubber mallet to smack the new ones in . Or you can put a small board over them and use a real hammer.

yay468

So essentially bash them out, then gently put new ones in. Awesome. Thank you ALOT! Its been impossible to find an answer. And do i wnat snap ring, flanged, or average bearings? Im thinking flanged, cause thats what they look like. But I have no idea.

yay468

Here. This is exactly what I have, if you want a real pic, ill gladly do it. Just its raining out atm. lol
Based on look, I would think its a flanged, but im stupid....so.

rmm727

I would use the snap ring ones and cut a spacer for in between. I want to try those rims out. If I remember they aren't but $15?

Yup thats a flanged bearing, you could also use an external snap ring bearing but it may change the dimension inside ( between the bearings) if u have an internal bearing spacer in use.:scooter:

Yeh 13.99 lol
So to be safe, just by 4 flanged, and put them in with a rubber mallet?awesome. THANKS!
When you do get the new bearings, (lots of good advice above) try and press them in my hand first. Even a rubber mallet can damage the races, and it trashed the bearing.

One trick I just did from the good old days (bearings on jet engines) was to put my new bearings in the freezer for a few hours, then set them. I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier they set. (Less whacking with rubber mallet)

When you do get the new bearings, (lots of good advice above) try and press them in my hand first. Even a rubber mallet can damage the races, and it trashed the bearing.

One trick I just did from the good old days (bearings on jet engines) was to put my new bearings in the freezer for a few hours, then set them. I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier they set. (Less whacking with rubber mallet)
But when you go to put the bearings in, how do fit the rim in the freezer?:shrug: