Has anyone tried to make your own Rokon style mini?

KB2ROCKET

I have gained an interest in Rokon but at the high price point and the spare parts I have laying around I'm thinking I might be able to do better

Have you seen Wardogs build? https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/112092-2x2-build.html looks pretty impressive
I will say im not sure how well tandem rear wheels would really work for traction. My tandem bike tends to slip alot but they are just regular 6" wheel minibike tires. They have half the weight pushing down on them so that cant help. But it is very stable when they are slipping and ofcourse it rides like a cloud. If youve got a bad back thats what you want to build. Or just make one with two engines. This one pulls like crazy only downside is all the weight on the front makes the steering a bit heavy. With torque converters it would be downright rediculous

Well the Rokon has a Sprag system clutch that consists of a flat wound spring on the one shaft and a flat drum on the other half shaft that powers the front wheel so if your going forward in a straight line the clutch is engaged
but if you begin a turn about 15 degrees the spring pulls the shaft away from the flat spring and you are then powered by just the rear wheel. So if you have a big hill ahead choose a path in a straight line. They are a amazing machine and fun to ride

KB2ROCKET

Steve I don't know if I can pull off a disengaging front drive that sounds to high end for me but I did manage to throw 90 % of a hopefully functional engine together today :laugh:

KB2ROCKET

Hey 2strokd those wheels can hold extra fuel or water or rum or whatever but if you leave them empty they serve as flotation for water crossings

Thanx for the answer. Flotation was actually what I was thinking about. I found a classified ad locally where an older gentleman has one for sale. He says he has no idea if it's 1st gen or what said he bought it " two forevers and a while ago". Was bought for fencing in the mountains here in KY. Am going to try to go see it Monday morning.

KB2ROCKET

Chances are it's a 2 stroke version all the older ones are you should buy it the new ones are $5k to $9k the old ones hold their value very well and have a nitch following. Those high prices are what motivated me to try and build my own mine won't be floating across any water but it will have gobs more power and hopefully be rock solid dependable. .. time will tell

That's a beautiful example! I hope the one I am gig to go see has the same 10hp Chrysler 2t. With a good low rpm pipe I bet it would dang near climb a wall!!!
The old guy did say it is all green, said it looks like the canvas tents the US Army used in 'Nam. Of its not the two stroke, would it be worth getting at a certain price???
So sorry for this mini thread jacking.

KB2ROCKET

I don't have any 1st hand experience with these bike so I cant say what ones are better.
on the subject of disengaging the front drive I gave this a ton of thought since Steve posted about it
and then I remembered that I have one of those experimental mini bike manual clutches made by the ???? brothers
you older member will remember I think that would work perfect for this purpose and should last a very long time because it wont be cycled very often just when needed