Hawg TY mini bike

just bought this bike. need to know what model and engine cc before i can order parts or manual. will be adding lights and signals to register it for street use. might need to also change the tires! thanks! kathy 011.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Kathy welcome to the forum :thumbsup: You have more or less answered you own questions :shrug: It is a Hawg Ty made in China, the engine is a Honda 5.5 horse GX160 (160cc) I know here in the states it is almost impossible to register a minibike for street use :shrug: Your biggest problem is that it was made for off road use only and has no VIN number. There are many threads here about doing just what you want to try, try doing a search about it :thumbsup:

Check again on the frame. It should be 17 digits. The title or certificate of origin is probably off by one digit. Still very hard to make street legal. You would probably need lights,horn,DOT tires.etc... Much easier and probably cheaper to buy something already road legal. Particularly since it is not antique or very valuable. But keep us posted if you decide to try.

know where i can get an owners manual? got all of the lights and switches/relays on ebay for under $100.00 ( all came from china!) might need to change out the tires, they have an "H" in the number, but dont know if that stands for highway, only rated for 10psi.anyway. i will check the frame again and see if i missed a digit in the vin#. dont need turn signals in wash, but i am putting them on anyway. have all of the other parts that dot requires. readyto start wiring1

Kathy,

Well-meaning folks here will tell people it's pretty much impossible to get a mini bike registered for the street. However here in the West, several states allow it. Washington is one of them. The most difficult part is getting a Hawg TY some DOT tires, and the electricity to power DOT lamps. Sounds like you're on that.

Here's a quick run-down of WA requirements:

To qualify as a moped, a vehicle in Washington:
•Must have 2–3 wheels.
•Must have an electric or liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement of less than 50 cc, and no more than 2 brake horsepower.
•Can’t travel faster than 30 miles per hour.
and
•Must meet all the federal standards for a motor-driven cycle.

So you pretty much have a motorcycle.

In your case, 46.37.522 through 46.37.539 applies: Washington's motorcycle equipment requirements.

How to make your off-road motorcycle street legal

Note that the equipment needs to meet Fed standards, (DOT) but this is not hard to do. The "real" obstacle is how much your local Motorcycle Shop is going to charge you to certify your bike is "good to go" on the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration Form.

You don't need a title to register a vehicle for the road, but to avoid a hassle with the DMV, get a VIN and apply for a title. It takes years from what I gather, but you can still register it while waiting for a title.

In Washington, on page 20 of the Vehicle Dealer & Manufacturer Resource Manual, it says "When a vehicle has no VIN, WSP (Washington State Patrol) will assign or reassign one. A fee will be charged."

How to set up an inspection with WSP is here.

capguncowboy

As much of a hassle as it is to get one of these street legal, i would just buy something that is already legal, like a 70s trail bike or the like. by the time you buy your mini and make all of the necessary updates etc, you will have exceeded the cost of a used motorcycle

will plug it into a charger when i am not riding it. talked to the local shop, they said $50.00 to do the declaration form, but i dont need one according to the dmv, just need to take it to them and pass inspection. have all of the lights and switches, just need to bolt them on and wire them. might need to change out the tires, they have an "H" in the number, but dont know if
they are highway legal, as they are only 10psi. will need to get a "lost title" for the first three years, and then its ok after that. like the looks of the bike. have not seen many like it on the road. very sturdy, and parts are real cheap and easy to get once i figure out the model #, but dont think i will need it as long as i know the cc. not doing this to resell and make money, want something unique!

Unless the numbers on your tires start with "DOT" they are not highway legal. An "H" by the way in DOT parlance means "high speed" 130 MPH.

What I heard was the DMV doesn't do the inspections, a motorcycle shop does using the DMV form. The people behind the counter aren't qualified to access anything mechanical. Just make you wait in line and type stuff in little boxes on the computer screen. :thumbsup: