Help!! carb problems

coxbm

Hello im ne to the forum but i figured maybe there someone out here that could help me. I have a 212 predator that has been working quite well for the past few weeks. but recently i put a new header and air filter on it. After re-jetting the carb it wouldnt start. After taking it up to my uncles shop (small engine repair) and cleaning the carb we got it to start and have a rough idle but when u hit the throttle it just dies...... What could this be? gaskets? dirt in carb? Just a bad carb?

gbabins1

Welcome, I'm by no means a carb expert... but it wouldn't start after you rejetted it then you cleaned the carb and it started but idles rough... too much fuel or an air leak I'm thinking. What size jets did you use? Or did you drill out the stock one yourself?

I'm sure someone with more carb knowledge will chime in soon

The pilot jet did not need to be fooled with , thats one issue . Second is .81mm ( if thats correct ) is only a #32 jet ( #67 bit ) , thats not enough fuel , you have to go to a #62 bit which gives you a #38 jet , some people say go to a #60 drill or #40 jet ? Did you drill it carefully by hand w/pin vise ? I just finished exact mods , header and intake and #38 re-jet and it couldn't possibly run any better ! I'm no expert but searching this site for months has made me one , Lol :thumbsup:

Too small of a main jet will not cause it not to start or idle, .02 of idle jet,is still small, but should do fine. Did you check all carb gaskets, did you check your needle and float?
Make sure the small oring on the pilot jet did not fall off and is seated properly.
Is the etube in right and main jet seated properly?

Is it getting fuel? How is the spark plug clean?

did you replace the stud on the carb because if you tried to run the screw insert on the stud itll only go so far in not really tighten the carb up against the intake port on the head there will b gaps believe me I tried to do it without stud In I had gaps between head in the insulator plus there was gap between the air filter adaptar in makesure u get the hard gasket but I had forgot to order the short stud in tried it anyways It seems tight when u do it but it really aint trust me check your fuel shut off the seals in the predator are cheap under them plates where u shut it off at in they sometimes block the fuel. if all fails order a raixing carb there 18 bucks on nrracing.com better carb to... check for low oil u might not have enough in it for the oil sensor to keep fire to the selinod and the connector to the shut off switch sometimes the wire on the bottom of coil can come off pretty easy on them to check it.