help me give an old 2hp briggs a second life

I have a 1970s briggs 2hp and i need some help with a couple of things

First: the pull start when i pull it out it dosnt recoil by itself unless you beat the side cover

Second: there is a crack in the carb where it bolts up on the 'flange' can that be welded ?

Yesterday i cleaned the tank,carb,block, unceased it, new head gasket and i got a carb gasket but i need to know what to do with the carb first .

Third: i just realised theres no spark.

Last edited:

TomH

You are going to have to take the recoil cover off. Remove the flywheel and clean up/file the points. regap with a business card for the gap width. Might be able to fix the carb with JB weld if it isn't a stress area. Recoil probably just needs a good cleaning and a little lube. Get a new plug.

You are going to have to take the recoil cover off. Remove the flywheel and clean up/file the points. regap with a business card for the gap width. Might be able to fix the carb with JB weld if it isn't a stress area. Recoil probably just needs a good cleaning and a little lube. Get a new plug.
Okay, but how do you take off the fly wheel ? this is the only place i have no experience

buckeye

Search. Tons of threads on flywheel removal. Just one suggestion. Do Not hit the end of the crank with a hammer.
It's really pretty easy. Let me ask you something, if you get the flywheel off do you know what to do next? There are some great youtube vids on flywheel removal.

buckeye

Nope not good. They are a biatch to get wound back up and instaled. For me anyway. That's one of those things that I have decided I work hard for my money, and I'll pay someone to do that one. I have no patience for this task.

Nope not good. They are a biatch to get wound back up and instaled. For me anyway. That's one of those things that I have decided I work hard for my money, and I'll pay someone to do that one. I have no patience for this task.
after what feels like 45 minutes 100+ bad words, i strongly agree with you.

Re winding the spring is a complete pain in the butt to do. It is possible. If you decide to do it make sure you do it in the right direction(I learned the hard way lol)

I got the engine running, the spring rewound, the points cleaned and hooked up, threw some oil in her and a little gas in the carb, she came alive first pull :D thanks everyone the engine hasnt ran in 10+ years, but now its alive again

i must have a dam good trick for doing a recoil spring . there not all that bad on a briggs you want a real bitch do a weed wacker or a chain saw them are bad . maybe i should do a thread on how i do them .... that could be funny to see can a 9 fingered joker teach a 10 fingered jack to wind a spring :shrug::laugh::laugh::laugh:

buckeye

Please do metal man. I hate those friggin things. I buy a new one or take it somewhere. Or just put a different schroud on. Or run them over.

there is a youtube video out there, i dont have the link. i have done it once, it took a while to get it, and alot of patience that i didnt have. good luck

buckeye

The you tube vid I saw was for the clone. It is the same principle. The only catch is, trying to get the end of the spring to go in that friggin hole on the shroud. That's about the time for me to get the truck and run the friigin thing over a hundred times. Did I kention, I hate those friggin things?