Hilliard Clutches, worth the money?

i dont know about anybody else but i bought one for my baja warrior and it only has 4 shoes and it is extremely loud. it kind of sounds like a engine with a bad knock

I am going to need a new clutch for a Heathkit Boonie that I bought last fall and I am sick of the standard Max torque clutches.

I have seen these Hilliard's advertised, but have never used one.
like this one:
Hilliard Extreme Duty Minibike/Gocart Clutch 3/4" #35: eBay Motors (item 200498524013 end time Aug-19-10 10:00:05 PDT)

Are they better?
Pros and cons?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith,

You ever do anything with that Manco Chopper?I got some slots I'll trade for it.:biggrin:

- Chad

pomfish

Keith,

You ever do anything with that Manco Chopper?I got some slots I'll trade for it.:biggrin:

- Chad
Hey Chad!

Still got the Chopper, considering putting a clone 6.5 on it.
I just got a Cat Eliminator recently, or I should say an eliminator from the neck back.
Someone crudely grafted a Bennelli front end on it and extended the frame. She is one ugly beast.
But it does appear to have the factory sissy bar with a good back pad.
I am wondering what that pad is worth. It is in nice shape.

Anyway, I probably should get the Chopper sandblasted and powder coated.
Time and money, same old story:)

Thanks,
Keith

Mr X

mine makes the chattering noise when it warms up. its like instead of engaging smoothly the shoes just hit the clutchbell and bounce. i used to have a comet clutch and it was much smoother and grabbed much better too.

Not a big fan. Had one for a week and one of the spring/clips must have popped out and the thing started to catch/release like i was riding a mechanical bull. Stick with the Max Torque. Just my 2 cents.

Yes just buy a max torque or a comet, the hilliard clutches arent really good unless your a small guy or little kid. Not worth the money i got one on a engine and it looked new, but wasnt really working good.

I took the Hilliard Fury inferno off my I/C and replaced my max TQ.. Both are new.. The Hilliard is the better of the 2 by far. Very far. BUT this is the hilliard Inferno fury one not the extreme duty.. I love it I was riding today for about 3-4 hours with it on and it was a killer difference. engagement is smooth as silk , it quieter,gets me up to full trot way faster than the Max Tq.

I think Northern tool has the Extreme duty on sale for $29.99..

I am 6Ft' 240lb running 10 tooth on both with a 40 tooth in the rear. The Max Tq stuggles on the start with me and the hilliard just goes.

As far as longevity with my weight and my stupid gear ratio we will see.

Last edited:
i would go with the Maxtorque i have one that was on my mini for a long time . it has been a good clutch , it been used for 10 years of use . most of the use was summer ,some winter driving in snow banks . it has held up to hauling my fat ass around , just keep them clean and oiled and the seem to last . the only problem i have ever had was on my gokart the bushing would not last long . but i found out it was set up wrong , the wrong clutch for that set up .:grind:

mybiz

Less parts less problems
look
hilliard clutch's

Max Torque clutch's

Comet is good too.:thumbsup: And I do have a few.:blink: