Homemade side cover gasket

C9H13NO3

I have a clone which is leaking oil. I don't want to buy a new gasket so I got gasket paper ad I am making one myself. Has anyone tried this before?

It should work well take the side cover smear it with a light coat of hard grease then make a imprint on the gasket paper and cut it out carefully . Use a small piece of pipe to make holes ..

too punch the bolt holes ? yep got one for ya take the antenna off a junk radio and use the tube to cut the holes . so place gasket on block of wood line up tube and tap with hammer . done many with that set up cheep, easy

........... Use a small piece of pipe to make holes ..
or a punch, nail set, screwdriver, nail, pen/pencil "small piece of pipe"......and check out the sticky above for the specific part number to get the correct replacement. When using an after market sized gasket you might change the crank endplay. Just make sure when it's all sealed up that the crank can still move side to side ~.002-.003

C9H13NO3

I was thinking about using this tool that I found in a drawer in my house that is used to put holes in belts. I would have to make the holes a little bit bigger, or I could just drill out the bit.

C9H13NO3

ok, DONT try to make your own gasket. I damn nearly blew myself up because of a oil leak. i repeat DONT DO NOT DONT!!!~! try to make your own gasket

Just because you did not succeed doesn't make it a "don't not try". I have made several side cover gaskets since nobody seems to have them for the New motors until the link was provided. Im still using the first one I made (have 2 still for back up) and have removed the side cover several times.

Its really pretty easy. OIL (I use motor oil), rubber mallet, and a hard surface (I use a vise anvil). I oil the cover, tap around the cover, turn it over and tap again on the gasket side. It makes a perfect impression. First I drill the holes with a 1/4" drill bit and then cut it out with a pair of scissors. Look like the original. Damn looks like I need to do more videos. LMAO

You can tell the car guys from the non-car guys. haha

Uncle Benson showed me along time ago how to make a gasket, gosh it's easy, The proper material for one, then take a ball pein hammer and tap around the area to be duplicated, remember to just tap tho, the holes are acomplished by the rounded end of the ball pien hammer, locate the hole by pushing the hammer into it, then just a tap or 2 and you have a hole, on aluminum you have to tap lightly but you can do it, just take your time, then a film of blue or black silicone and it shouldn't leak at all, but I would much rather use the proper gasket.
dave

i have made more then i want to count . its not hard you just have to learn how to do it wright .
LOL me too I was making gaskets when I was like 12 working on old motorcycles in my grandpa's shop....I never almost blew up either ROTFLMAO ..Was he making the gaskets out of plastic explosives ? :biggrin:

Old Phocker knows what he is talking about... another great way of doing things is lay you paper out nice and flat, then press your plate down on it and cut around the edge with an exacto knife.. Then you have your basic shape and can go around the inside edge about 3/8 of an inch inwards or whatever it needs to be... If you build it and a good smooth FLAT piece of wood, you can lay it all down, pop your holes first.. THEN bolt your side plate down tight to the board before hacking and cutting too... :thumbsup: Then ya KNOW stuff will line up...

:lol: OH.... is this thing 2 pages long?... Yeah you can make gaskets for sure.. I've made a LOT of them for about everything.. Big old V8's and all.. Hell I've seen old Homer build head gaskets from aluminum siding and they worked SWEET... The crankshaft end play was a GREAT point though too.. :doah: I had to edit it to say that... YES DEFINATELY make sure it is the exact right thickness.. You can't make a backing plate gasket fro cereal boxes.. That stuff is for intake and carbs.. :lol: Make sure you have the RIGHT stuff or you're fighting a loosing battle.. :hammer:

OH... PS... oil will not explode.. :thumbsup: gets slippery on stuff, messy, burns slow, burns hot... but it was WAY too high of a flash point and nowhere near combustable enough without specifiaclly designing a machine to use oil as an accelerent.. You'll be fine.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jleon

Saw a show on TV the other day- They used spent bullet shells for the holes - don't remember the diameters, but 38's are about 3/16th's. They lightly ground or sanded the outer edge to sharpen. I say spent because you wouldn't want to hit a live cap!!:doah:

i made a side cover gasket the other day with the gasket paper. i used a paper hole punch for the holes and it worked just fine.