honda clone llighting coil wiring

I am doing some mods on a baja heat. i have the Baja clone 6.5hp. It has a working lighting coil. the coils under the flywheel are 2 crescent shaped wireclusters under the proper magnet flywheel. I wanted to run one of the wires to charge a battery (I know i need diode...) and the other to the headlight (AC). When I test the 2 wires coming off the coil into a plug (they are both both blue if makes any dif.) that goes to headlight plug --while engine is running i get approx 10+- volts. Test done with multimeter black lead to one and red to the other. If i reverse the leads from the multimeter I get the same reading. To me this means that the power does not generate unless both wires are connected. What am I missing shouldn't one wire be a negative and one be a positive if they are used to power a bulb? If i test one coil wire with test lead and other test lead to engine ground --reading is 0 and vice versa. The headlight plug is plugged directly into both of these wires coming from the lighting coil. It seems that the two wires should be both A/C like on a riding mower. But they give readings the same with the mulitmeter hooked up either way as long as both wires are connected to leads. Any explanation for this? or too confusing?

Well, maybe I can help. The charging system is first of all DC that goes directly to the light, not AC because otherwise you wont be able to test in the DC position on the multi meter. The wires should show a different reading on most multi meters and if it is hooked up backwards, it will still read voltage but u should have a symbol that shows (-) or (+) indidcating polarity. I have not done it myself, but I would use a regulator so that the battery wont overcharge because a diode will only stop current from going in one direction and that does u no good. Another problem is if u use a 12v battery, and only charge it with 10v then it will never go above that and if ur planning on adding additional lights, it will discharge faster than it charges therefore not worth the headache because it will only work short term before the battery is low again. Also, have u checked the amperage output of the coils, because it may only be 5 amps and this will take hours of running to charge the battery only to the 10v mark.

Riding mowers charge through a regulator and make over 12v and have about 15 to 20 amps of charging power to power the lighting system on the mower and make sure the battery charges to turn the starter motor.