HS50 Questions out too the experts

BC DAVE

I bought this HS50 from a guy.....

That told me it was NOS and never had gas /oil in it. I do believe him because I'm taring it apart and there are NO SIGNS of it ever being ran. There's also NO SIGNS of any numbers to tell what year it is :mad2: The owner had ground off the numbers on the fan shourd and just left the :censure: "HS50" there. Is there any other way to find the model year of this engine? I have spent a few hours here searching and came up with nothing. I will need a complete gasket/seal set for this engine do to the Performance modifications that I'm going to do to it.

This engine will be going in my Chopper, and I want to put in ARC Rod #6282 in it also, I would need to know what parts I have to get a hold of to make this HS50 have lights and a aluminum flywheel due to the removal of the governor. A Cam/valve springs will also be added to the mix to make this thing as noisey as possible :thumbsup:..... Here's some pictures of the engine and maybe someone can help me out.....

..... with all of the parts taken off that I won't be using (carb,tank & exhaust)
I just couldn't help myself and stick these on for a look see.....

Thanks for ANY help that you can give me on my quest to achieve my goals here with this engine. On a parting note, what Tecumseh parts web site is the best.

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

jrzmac

Nice carb you're putting on there. :wink: the exhaust ain't too shabby either. I'll tell ya, that 84, that somebody wrote in marker on the shroud, did the guy you bought it from say why that is there? I'm not positive but, I think it was put there to remind someone the year of the engine. There's a few reasons it could be from 1984, for one, the decal on there I think is from the 80's. the 60's had the balloon style, and the 70's had the flag decal. also it has a solid state ignition and not a points and condensor. that was changed in the early 80's I think. Another reason could be the recoil. It has screws and I think the 70's engines had rivets. Like I said, I'm not positive but, that about the best guess I could come up with???? good luck, you have one sweet engine there! I can't wait to see it when your all done building it up, and putting it on your bike! make sure you take plenty of build pics. there's just not been enough around here these days!!! :thumbsup:

BC DAVE

Hey MAC :thumbsup:

Thank you for your imput on this engine and the stages of Tecumseh engines, you know a heck of alot more then myself :doah: when it comes to this subject :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I kinda figured that the 1-84 ment the year of the engine, but I'm not POSITIVE?.... As you know yourself MAC, there are a lot of different models of this engine (HS50) and that's what I NEED to know, the model :mad2: I know ....Short of the stamped number on the fan shroud (that is missing) I will need some input on what gasket/seal set will work on this engine so when I tare it down ... I have the right gasket/seal set inhand to put it all back toether.

What's sad here MAC .... Is that I have the MANUAL that came with the HS50 and no where in it's six pages does it say the year/model :no: .... Not even on the printing of the manual it's self.....

I'm liking the look of the Dellorto carb also on this engine that will be going into a Bonanza Chopper. The #200 Taylor pipe/muffler with spark arrester is what I have seen that came on the CR-400 Bonanza Choppers. Yep, I know the UA19S & HS50 were not on the CR-400 Choppers.... That's what makes this FUN :thumbsup:

Back to the topic at hand....

I would also like to know if the UA19S cares which way it is mounted? With it having the abillity to be adjusted too so many different configurations within it's self. I know that the fuel bowl must be LEVEL.... No matter the mounting configuration(s) of the carb. In the first picture, that I was getting my look see of the UA and #200....

You can see that the fuel bowl is right underneath the pipe..... It's way too close for my liking...... It's a tight clearance of 7/16" the pump primer is even closer at about 1/4 " and the top of the fuel bowl is RIGHT THERE also underneath the pipe. In this picture you will see that I have flipped the crab over and the fuel bowl is now away from the pipe.....

No matter how the carb is mounted, it is still sticking out and will be damaged when the bike is dropped :eek:hmy: will the "UA" work how I have it mounted in this configuration? I also like this "set up".... Because it let's me mount the Dellorto air cleaner......

....Without any issues :thumbsup: Again.... Will the carb work in this manor :shrug: Thank you for your imput on this..... I sure would like to hear from those of you out there that have been there ..... And have done it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BC DAVE

..... You mean this tank, Neck?.....

Oh.... I'm sorry Neck , I'm just mess'n with you :laugh::laugh::laugh: that tank is going on my Chopper..... You mean this one....

I'm selling it to YOU :thumbsup: per the rules set forth by HENT :thumbsup: It won't happen here :doah: along with the rest of these parts.....

..... And Carb.....

I'll put them up for sale in the "want add section" as soon as I get done with this post :thumbsup:

I'm still looking for the infoe that I'm after that pertains to this HS50 and what I am doing with it.... I can go through the trial & error method of doing this.... Something that I have done in the past on my own :thumbsup: I have no propblem doing it this way. But.... It would be GREAT with some imput here to get me headed in the right direction with my modifications that I'm going to do to this engine :thumbsup:

jrzmac

I'm no expert, especially on those type of carbs, but I'm pretty sure what I remember hearing is that those carbs could be mounted in any direction. I'm not positive on that, because all of the pics that I just looked at, have that carb with the part where the throttle cable goes in, pointing up. If that helps any??? someone else will chime in here that knows about these carbs.... please!!!

jrzmac

I just went back and checked, and this is the way that 90% of the Rupp Blackwidow's have their carbs mounted. hope this helps!!

Thanks Neck :thumbsup: I'm a easy type of going guy.....

I'm going to list them parts in a few minutes, but first thing's first.... :thumbsup:

Thanks MAC :thumbsup: for the pictures! That "UA" in your second picture is mounted just like how I have my "UA" in my "look see" picture. I can see the "WIDOWS" have a different pipe and the carb dosen't have any issues with it being too close to the pipe and it's heat? I'm not knowing what it looks like from the other side of that bike :shrug: I know you have no controll of this .... You are just trying to help me out..... I thank you for this Sir :thumbsup:

The question still at hand is this ..... Can a "UA/UB" Dellorto Carb be "flipped over" from the normal position as pictured above and still function correctly?

Thank's Slugeboy :thumbsup:

I will hit "THEM" up via a P/M :thumbsup:..... But I'm still wondering :shrug: if there's a light coil/ Aluminum Fly wheel for this particular HS50 that I have is out there too be had?

Neck

Growing up is optional
I have to ask! why didn't these engines blow up, and why didn't we hear about any exploding flywheels because they were run without governors?

I'm not knowing Neck :shrug:

But that link that Sludgeboy turned me on too is excellent :thumbsup: I'm still hoping for someone to chime in and get me heading in the right direction for a gasket/seal set and if the carb can be flipped over :shrug:

Heck there restorekid....

I thought you made a post to help me out.... Not bash me!!! As far as grinding shit off as you put it. I'm unbolting the engines pieces that I DO NOT WANT to use. As far as it being OLD and PERFECT it's a long ways from that! I hardly would call a '80S Tecumseh engine OLD.... As far as being PERFECT.... It was far from that with decals that were not applied nicely and a very crappy paint job from the factory. You see restorekid, I earned the money to buy that engine.

Seeings that I bought it, it is MINE :doah: Beings it's MINE I can do with it how ever I please, because it's MINE :doah: As far as grinding crap off, I do not know how you do it over in your neck of the woods? But in my Garage, I take things apart and put them back together BETTER then the way I found them :thumbsup: Thanks for your help there retsorekid.