i got 10 gallons of 100 octane low lead... can i reduce that to 87?

does anyone know if i can add something to it i.e. oils or something so i can run it in my tec (100hm) flattie? maybe some of the old hands know something that works- to be able to use AV 100LL aviation fuel and a mix ratio with something else to get it down to a useable 87 octane? :wink: anybody?

When I was in the Navy and stationed at NAS Bermuda we would take the fuel samples from the C-131 and mix with SAE30 oil for use in our mopeds. The C-131 used 115/145, of coarse this made the mopeds run like a bat out of hell.

thanks, so if i am understanding correctly i can dilute at 1 to 1 av100 with 87?

and sae 30 works too? what would be the ratio for that mixture?

i just dont want to make create any unnecessary damage :eek: to my (flat) engine as i believe i can get some more 100av and it could turn into long term useage.:scooter:

alright that is good news! can someone tell me what happens if too high of octane is used in a flathead? i believe there is room for caution..?? things to keep an eye onor something? much appreciation folks -freezerburn

an old mechanic years ago told me that i could run a quarter tank of av gas to normal to burn the carbon out of a motor but not to do it to often . hard on the valves . but he was saying 115 or 120 . 100 oct 3 reg gas to 1 av gas i would think would work fine

Oldsalt

I believe the higher octane is simply more 'knock' [pre-ignition] proof than lower octane fuel. Necessary when the compression ration is really high, which is the main contributor to 'ping' [and worse, such as 'detonation']. I'm pretty sure that using high octane fuel in an engine that does not require it [generally due to its relatively low compression ratio] there is nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

I believe Oldsalt is correct. Octane is the measure of the fuels resistance to early detonation, or preignition. Using it in a low compression engine shouldn't hurt anything. Other than wasting expensive high octane fuel.

I've got a buddy who started out back in the old days in top fuel "Nitro" drag racing and now into Mototrials and the GAS GAS Tech guru - He says the higher the octane, the SLOWER the burn which is why it helps with detonation. I'm pretty sure the gain will not be noticed at all in a motor that does not have high compression or wildly advanced timing. If you were getting the AV gas cheap, run it. I pay about $7 / gal for B35 race gas (101oct) for my trials bike. I do see the need, it smoothes out the throttle response. Keep in mind, the motor on this modern competition ready trials bike is a fairly high compression 2-stroke (friggin torque monster). FYI, if you search GAS GAS USA tech and look up Jon Stoodley. He's a wealth of info on anything internal combustion...

that info is EXACTLY what i was looking for folks! thanks! and yes im getting a great deal on the 100LL

now i wonder- will it be harder to start with the higher octane??

Oldsalt

that info is EXACTLY what i was looking for folks! thanks! and yes im getting a great deal on the 100LL

now i wonder- will it be harder to start with the higher octane??
To get rid of left over race gas from Engine Research Corp in San Lorenzo I burn it in anything I can put it in. The fuel is for a 16 to 1 engine and I have not noticed a starting problem with any normal compression engine.

Oldsalt

have you run that fuel in any flathead engines of any kind? btw what octane is that used in a 16 to 1 engine! holy crap
Energy Research Corporation [in San Lorenzo] is a serious state of the art facility for fuel design. The stuff we buy can cost as much as 25 a gallon. The formula that we tend to purchase is A19-A and is in excess of 110 octane. We would use methanol but that would change the car's class and would bring on a whole new set of fuel management issues.

You cannot possibly damage a flatmotor or any other gas powered Otto cycle engine by using a fuel with a higher octane rating than necessary.

I heard because it burns so hot it could melt/warp your valves?? Give it a try, you could always rebuild the motor.
Well you have been misinformed as "octane rating" has nothing to do with the BTU content or the flame temperature for that matter.

You may also be surprised to learn that in the right conditions, low octane fuels typically produce more BTU per pound that higher octane fuels. The problem come in when low octane fuels detonate.

cncd11

here is an option... Post an add on crigslist or on here and sell the 100 octane. then buy some regular gas with the money. Just some food for thought.

all good points and due ly noted and appreciated.
i wont sell the AV as it is gifted to me. but good idea. also btw there is a possibility that i will be able to get more in the future.

i have heard in my research that the fuel will not get completely burned in the low comp flathead. will i lose a noticeable amount of power or is this a non issue? im not huge on power but i dont want to lose much either if i can help it.

I remember from the past that av-gas is designed for high altitudes where the air is not as dense. By itself, it's not supposed to be good to use in engines run at low altitudes (on the ground). I would think a mix of 50/50 would be fine. Being "low lead" would be a good thing for your mini bike. All of the older engines were designed for "leaded" fuel. The lead acts as a lubricant and was easier on the valve seats. Todays' "no leaded" fuels are the reason we have hardened valve seats in engines. ***I don't know if this is true, but, I've heard that the lead in the old fuels in the old engines actually hardened the valve seats, preventing the need for hardened seats from the factory.*** Now all you serious engine gurus read what I said and feel free to agree, or shoot me down on any mistakes in my info. Some of what I said could be "off" a little due to age and bad memory. Some of it may be skewed due to pain and medication. I can tell you though, if I got a good deal on some av-gas, I'd mix it, use it, and not give it a second thought. Now if you get a good deal on "jet fuel", you need to save it for your kerosene heater :smile:. Tim.