I got me a Powell! ...now what?

CarPlayLB

Hello MiniBikers,
I did a little "horse tradin'" with James C and got me a Powell. Its good from far, but far from good! I need some expert assistance...the kind of knowledge only found here at OldMiniBikes!

1) Where is the serial number on these?
2) Any have access to rear springs?
3) Does anyone rebuild the original throttles?
4) How do the forks come apart? (I need some chrome!)
5) I have seen some chrome wheels (the steel side)...how do you that and maintain the brake lining?
6) Can the aluminum side of the wheel be polished and look good?

It is my intent to blow this apart, do some chrome and power coat, rebuild/repaint the engine (2 different processes!)...I am not very smart, but follow instruction well...I need help!

I will post some pics here shortly...thanks in advance

Neck

Growing up is optional
The frame number is on top of the upper channel, should be right next to the shift knob. MBP bought a bunch of NOS springs, but he's not around anymore.

CarPlayLB

Thanks Neck...I looked and couldn't see a number...I will have to do some sanding!..or it's stolen!...or, it's the ultra rare, factory experimental model that's worth millions!?

Nice bike Eric. :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing it all done up. What's wrong with the throttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be following along too Eric I just picked one up today and you have alot of the same questions!! Yours is alot more complete!

george3

Hello MiniBikers,
I did a little "horse tradin'" with James C and got me a Powell. Its good from far, but far from good! I need some expert assistance...the kind of knowledge only found here at OldMiniBikes!

1) Where is the serial number on these?
2) Any have access to rear springs?
3) Does anyone rebuild the original throttles?
4) How do the forks come apart? (I need some chrome!)
5) I have seen some chrome wheels (the steel side)...how do you that and maintain the brake lining?
6) Can the aluminum side of the wheel be polished and look good?

It is my intent to blow this apart, do some chrome and power coat, rebuild/repaint the engine (2 different processes!)...I am not very smart, but follow instruction well...I need help!

I will post some pics here shortly...thanks in advance
Its good from far, but far from good! lol.

Dumbest question of the day (sorry) but the suicide lever: is that a hand brake? A jockey shift/suicide lever is not common on mini bikes but I love the look! The first bike look like it has a throttle cable.

Dumbest question of the day (sorry) but the suicide lever: is that a hand brake? A jockey shift/suicide lever is not common on mini bikes but I love the look! The first bike look like it has a throttle cable.
I had to ask this earlier. It's a lever that positions the engine on a plate that increases or decreases belt tension thus changing pulley seating of the belt for low or high. (I hope I said that right)

CarPlayLB

I had to ask this earlier. It's a lever that positions the engine on a plate that increases or decreases belt tension thus changing pulley seating of the belt for low or high. (I hope I said that right)
Dave, I thin k you are pretty close to the mark! By adjusting the tension, you get a different ratio on the driver unit. You can adjust the speed and torque

Clayon, the throttle cable is worn and kinked. I don't see a way to put a new cable and sheath on without extended skills, which I possess none of!

Dave, I thin k you are pretty close to the mark! By adjusting the tension, you get a different ratio on the driver unit. You can adjust the speed and torque
Well, "I" couldn't because with one hand around a beer, and the other on the throttle, I'd need a third hand. :biggrin:

Seriously, those Powells must handle pretty good. If I wave to the laughing neighbors as I pass by on my Cats, I nearly lose it with wheel wobble.

CarPlayLB

Well, "I" couldn't because with one hand around a beer, and the other on the throttle, I'd need a third hand. :biggrin:

Seriously, those Powells must handle pretty good. If I wave to the laughing neighbors as I pass by on my Cats, I nearly lose it with wheel wobble.
My neighbors wave to me with one finger! Do they really think I am number one?

CarPlayLB

George, they are still waving with one hand...they know my name is NOT George! Maybe I should ride in La Mirada!

George, how do the fork sliders come out of the bottom of the forks? C'mon man, share the secrets!

Carplay been wanting to help you for a few days but couldn't . The forks are pretty easy to take apart .

Put them in a vice so your looking at the bottom , about 1/8 " up is a snap ring ( doesn't have ends on it just wire )

There is a spacer that pushes against the snap ring and the fork spring pushes against the spacer .

Take a flat head screw driver and push up on the spacer and while holding it take a pick and pop out the snap ring , sounds hard but it pretty easy .

Heres some pics that might help .