I think my block is cracked

First, Hi my names Keith. June 13 is my b-day, and I'll be... older. I'm new to oldminibikes.com forum and this is my first build, a new predator 212. I was cleaning out the crankcase when I saw this, and it bothers me. Should I take this back to Harbor Freight? I think it might have happened when they put it together. No visible damage on the outside, but would you feel comfortable running this engine? Seriously, I don't know what to do and I could use some good advice. Anything you have to say would help me out. Thanks

Last edited:

MikeBear

I'd return it. Look up the term "grenade"...

You ain't really lived until you've had an engine blow up while straddling it, and survived with your balls intact.

I don't however recommend the experience, so another engine is in order for you.

"I'd return it. Look up the term "grenade"..."

Yea, well, uh I've already tore it apart. I took out the governor wheel and arm, then plugged the holes. I took the low oil sensor out completely, also cut and threw out the wires then drilled/tapped that hole for a plug.

Last edited:
looks like casting marks...I've seen them on other engines....if you feel better about it take it back..
That's why I'm asking for advice, I thought it might be "normal" for this type of engine. Did I say I'm new to this? This is my first build and I'm just doing it as a hobby, then I'll sell and do it again. It's a "project build", a backyard bomber that some kid will buy with his first few paychecks. I want it to be safe but if enough members think the same way, I might just keep it.

MikeBear

"I'd return it. Look up the term "grenade"..."

Yea, well, uh I've already tore it apart. I took out the governor wheel and arm, then plugged the holes. I took the low oil sensor out completely, also cut and threw out the wires then drilled/tapped that hole for a plug.
Ok, well, you asked my opinion. If you want to let a $100 engine stand between you and possibly walking and talking funny the rest of your life, feel free to keep it and use it.

If you don't feel comfortable in returning it now due to your mods, just buy another one. I'd say that's pretty cheap life insurance. As for those possibly being "casting marks" these ones appear to me to be actual stress cracks, and I wouldn't take the chance.

Engines are cheap, your life isn't.

. As for those possibly being "casting marks" these ones appear to me to be actual stress cracks said:
If I keep it I'll take to a shop, have it cleaned up and see what it is, right now it sounds like we're just guessing. Did you enlarge the picture? Click the "bar" above the picture...

You voided warrenty...and without a billet rod or proper upgrades...it is unsafe. Feel free to read the "governor removal" sticky. And yes..those are just casting marks....not cracks.

They look like casting marks to me. All you need to do to tell for sure is try polishing a section and see if it polishes out. Take some finer grade sand paper or a dremel and go over a section. if it dissappears -casting mark, if it stays even after removing the rough surface, then its cracked.

CarPlayLB

They look like casting marks to me. All you need to do to tell for sure is try polishing a section and see if it polishes out. Take some finer grade sand paper or a dremel and go over a section. if it dissappears -casting mark, if it stays even after removing the rough surface, then its cracked.
...and by sanding the cracks away you eliminate what is a "stress riser" and it will be less prone to cracking in the future. Otherwise make friends with someone who can tig weld and weld it up! You'll be fine!

I had a shop dip a head once and he called later to tell me I need a new one. Stress cracks so small you'd never see, until the acid bath. I think HB should just replace it, or refund. I probably go over there tomorrow and ask. Isn't getting started a b*...
Thanks for all your advise, everyone has been great.

Let us know how that goes. I am curious to see what they say when you explain you were voiding the warranty by removing all the factory precautions and cutting up the wiring and noticed a possible stress crack. And you are more worried about that then adding a billet rod so the motor doesnt develop a hole in the case from when that cheap factory rod decides to let go. But you wanna be safe in case you sell it to a kid. :shrug:

Let us know how that goes. I am curious to see what they say when you explain you were voiding the warranty by removing all the factory precautions and cutting up the wiring and noticed a possible stress crack. And you are more worried about that then adding a billet rod so the motor doesnt develop a hole in the case from when that cheap factory rod decides to let go. But you wanna be safe in case you sell it to a kid. :shrug:

No joke! This was out of a brand new pred 212. Only started it once and let it run for about 3 min.

Ok, so I looked over the block again this morning, with a dermal in my hand,
and I saw something no one caught.
If you'll look at the picture again, you'll see a little black dot near the
casting marks. There are other dots similar to this one about the block,
both inside and out. These are obviously "inspection" check marks, made
with a sharpie. I feel kinda stupid now cause this engine block "was" inspected
and approved, there are even little scratches "on those casting marks" from
the inspectors sandpaper (barely visible). Harbor Freight won't refund this one.
I bought it....The question is, do I want to use it?
Maybe I'll make a sticker and put it on the recoil :nuke:

Last edited:
Tech Support @ Harbor Freight,

I recently made my first HB purchase, a predator 212cc that I intended to modify. After a good deal of disassemble, I examined the inside crankcase. There are some casting marks between the flywheel bearing and the cylinder, that were inspected and apparently approved as within specifications. However, I am not satisfied.

Because I intend to use the engine for purposes other than what is considered "normal" operation, I can't use one with this type of fault. The amount of stress loaded on the crankshaft would surely result in failure. Please see the picture. I just can't use this block.

I want to return it for a replacement, even though I've disassembled it, and begun to modify the stock engine. However, I feel a little apprehensive about asking my local store manager to assist me without fully informing you of the state of the product and how it came to be, i.e. I need to check these things before putting the engine to service. Lucky I did, there are no casting marks on the outside. But, the inside marks would cause stress peaks that would eventually give way. I would like your approval to return this engine to my local store.

I don't have the invoice, so I called customer service and she graciously said she'd send one to me right away. I'm hoping you respond in like manor and we can resolve this problem quickly.

Thank You
KeithDoerr@ymail.com

will be returning predator 212cc engine to:
Harbor Freight Tools
2399 Ellsworth Road
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

(734) 434-2402

dude, they are casting marks. they are even in my OEM honda GX200 and I've seen them in every engine I've built up in the past. The reason the dot is there, is probably due to the QC line acknowledging they were observed for the next stage of QC'ing when THEY go to do the final inspection. There's nothing wrong with your block.