Idle hitting rev limiter??

i did a few mods to my stock (and still stock engine) i put a new high-flow intake filter, jet, and an emulsion tube? 6.5hp Performance Parts

i ordered the filter and adapter, and the re-jet kit from here.

one thing I did; I broke a part of that black plastic spacer plate off... but it looked like it had enough on there to hold the air tight seal. not when i start the thing it idles high with the choke on full , and when i take the choke off, the thing kicks up sooo high the governor limits it and it doesn't slow down.

i will post pics. asap

jessez

sounds like the linkage in the throttle linkage eather the spring or bar from govener arm to carb. did you mess with the govener arm at all?

yes i did, i actually messed with all 3 of those. i took the spring, rod, arm off...

broken links... try 2

--------------------

edit: fixed the pics. you want to do just the img link, not the html one. the link for the pic has to end in .jpg/.jpeg/.gif/.bmp.

- Strigoi

Last edited by a moderator:
are you talking about the spacer that goes between the carb and head? that spacer isn't really needed, but you might be getting an air leak there which could explain your problem.

i've got one if you want/need it. i probably wouldn't be able to ship it until monday though.

Last edited:
are you talking about the spacer that goes between the carb and head? that spacer isn't really needed, but you might be getting an air leak there which could explain your problem.

i've got one if you want/need it. i probably wouldn't be able to ship it until monday though.
alright if it's not needed , i will eliminate it. Do i have to do anything special to the carb to do it?

vette66_00

alright if it's not needed , i will eliminate it. Do i have to do anything special to the carb to do it?
Ok I just confirmed this you NEED to make a new spacer. I pulled one out of my engine and it would not run worth a crap. I put it back in and it ran perfect.

Last edited:
well, if you want the one i have it's yours. i don't need it.

i haven't messed with stock carb setups so i'm kind of dumb when it comes to them. :laugh:

I totally thought it would work without it also. Then talk to one of my friends and he said he had to make a new one cause his got a crack. I had to find out for myself so I pulled it and sure enough it dont work worth a darn. POS stock carb setup I think it has something to do with the lip on that plate. LOL

well, if you want the one i have it's yours. i don't need it.

i haven't messed with stock carb setups so i'm kind of dumb when it comes to them. :laugh:
lol nice. alright i can paypal you some money for it. Do you have the gaskets for it? i ripped mine :doah:

Ok I just confirmed this you NEED to make a new spacer. I pulled one out of my engine and it would not run worth a crap. I put it back in and it ran perfect.

I tried it with out the spacer, and it still revs WAY high. Could the gov. be broken? :gunsmilie: Is it time for a billet rod, springs and a flat top? lol jk

should i post a video of how it's acting?

I tried it with out the spacer, and it still revs WAY high. Could the gov. be broken? :gunsmilie: Is it time for a billet rod, springs and a flat top? lol jk

should i post a video of how it's acting?
You can post a video but it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Have you tried grabbing the Throttle rod and moving it to the Idle position? If the answer is YES and it still revs, its a vacuum leak from the plate.

When I pulled the plate on mine it would not run at Idle and would only run and full open with choke on.

still sounds to me like the gov arm is out of place. i did it when i was messing with my motor on my bike which is box stock. what i had to do was losen that nut so i could twist the arm on the rod that comes up then i adjusted it to get it in a sutable range.