Just rebuilt a 2.5 hp Skat Kitty engine

Labor to align bore .020 over $100.00 ( done by a shop )
Piston, rings, circlips and pin $45.00
Valve springs $10.00
Gasket kit $20.00
Points and Cond. $10.00
Oil seals $8.00
New carb $75.00

Total parts $268.00

My labor $200.00 Included Lapping valves and assembly

Total price $468.00

Seems like alot of money for 2.5 horsepower :shrug::eek:ut:

Still needs a automotive urethane paint job $150.00

Last edited:
It probably seem high to some, but their the ones that can't do that type of work . Right much time in what you do Ed . Is this for Paul's bike ?

I'am sure it will be top notch as all of your work is . :thumbsup:

But the cost is the same as a 4 or 5 hp engine. I've only done two now, but I definitely saved on the labor and paint. If I subtract for the tools I had to buy, I'd be about even.

I was going to question the paint cost, but when you add in the reducer, catalyst, compressor, respirator filters, yeah, it adds up quick.

Bang for the buck-wise, Ed's talking FOUR 212's for the price of a 2.5. Little wonder some people opt for the Harbor Freight solution.

toomanytoys

If you want something done right you are going to pay for it.

Do you want an engine on your nice restoration that smokes? or do you want one that runs better than it did when it was built?

But the cost is the same as a 4 or 5 hp engine. I've only done two now, but I definitely saved on the labor and paint. If I subtract for the tools I had to buy, I'd be about even.

I was going to question the paint cost, but when you add in the reducer, catalyst, compressor, respirator filters, yeah, it adds up quick.

Bang for the buck-wise, Ed's talking FOUR 212's for the price of a 2.5. Little wonder some people opt for the Harbor Freight solution.
It's going red. One pint of paint cost me $50.00. I don't like using cheaper materials as I have had problems later on down the road. Actually I have to buy a quart because I'm painting the rest of the bike. Your right on the hardener and reducer. Probably have about $75.00 in materials.

It's going red. One pint of paint cost me $50.00. I don't like using cheaper materials as I have had problems later on down the road. Actually I have to buy a quart because I'm painting the rest of the bike. Your right on the hardener and reducer. Probably have about $75.00 in materials.
That's about what I pay for a pint of Dupont from Napa, excluding the cat and reducer. I've been using the 8:2:1 stuff, and am happy with it. Pleasantly surprised at the heat resistance of it as well.

Are you doing the entire restoration of the bike? If so, hope so see some photos. :thumbsup:

That's about what I pay for a pint of Dupont from Napa, excluding the cat and reducer. I've been using the 8:2:1 stuff, and am happy with it. Pleasantly surprised at the heat resistance of it as well.

Are you doing the entire restoration of the bike? If so, hope so see some photos. :thumbsup:
On a normal color I pay $25.00 for a pint of paint. That Red gets gets me every time :laugh: Reds and Browns are expensive.
Yes, painting the whole bike, frame, forks, round gas tank, chain guard, and a couple of brackets. The owner is gonna put it together.

Labor to align bore .020 over $100.00 ( done by a shop )
Piston, rings, circlips and pin $45.00
Valve springs $10.00
Gasket kit $20.00
Points and Cond. $10.00
Oil seals $8.00
New carb $75.00

Total parts $268.00

My labor $200.00 Included Lapping valves and assembly

Total price $468.00

Seems like alot of money for 2.5 horsepower :shrug::eek:ut:

Still needs a automotive urethane paint job $150.00
That's really close to what I spent on my Tecumseh H35 parts wise like yours on my 66 Rupp Contiental Custom restoration. I really don't pay any attention to what it costs it's the end result I'm after. Aww Your motor is not that much different total cost wise than mine. Treat a Tecumseh right and it will treat you right with many years of faithfull service. Your doing fine no sweat here.

Your total cost of $618 rebuilt and painted and add the cost of what you paid for the motor on the average of $200 or so makes it $818 - pretty wild isn't it...

I'd like to see your pictures of this motor someday when your done - I admire a fellow who spends the money and does a professional job on it. :thumbsup:

That's really close to what I spent on my Tecumseh H35 parts wise like yours on my 66 Rupp Contiental Custom restoration. I really don't pay any attention to what it costs it's the end result I'm after. Aww Your motor is not that much different total cost wise than mine. Treat a Tecumseh right and it will treat you right with many years of faithfull service. Your doing fine no sweat here.

Your total cost of $618 rebuilt and painted and add the cost of what you paid for the motor on the average of $200 or so makes it $818 - pretty wild isn't it...

I'd like to see your pictures of this motor someday when your done - I admire a fellow who spends the money and does a professional job on it. :thumbsup:

It will look just like this one I did for a customer awhile back.