Little unsure about 212cc Predator engine install into Baja Warrior MB200...

Hi again. Please refer to my other thread in this forum as to why my Baja's stock 200cc engine is not currently running... Hopefully two of my dad's mechanic friends can figure it out soon... I spoke briefly with several small engine repair shops in my area and they don't do work on clones...

One person I spoke to suggested something that no one else thought of yet: maybe the flywheel side end bearing in the engine case was somehow damaged when I first removed the flywheel....

Anyway, I am not giving up that someone will figure out how to get the stock motor running again. However, I have noticed that my local Harbor Freight has in stock the 212cc Predator engine: 6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA

I searched high and low on the web and could not find the answer to my main concern if I have to buy one of these to install in my bike: What is to be done about the fact that the stock motor has about an inch long threaded shaft at the end of the engine's output shaft???? This shaft was obviously where the castle nut and cotter pin were used to secure the clutch onto the output shaft...

Pics below of the output shaft of my stock engine for clarity:

The predator engine does not have this threaded shaft segment....

If anything, and we never can get the stock engine running again, I've learned a lot thus far.

rmm727

you'll will just use a bolt and washer to hold the clutch on instead of that castle nut and cotter pin.

Also, buy a side cover gasket instead of using silicone. That is probably the reason for your binding at this point. This was already suggested in your other thread. The small engine shops that say they don't work on clones must not work on Honda's either. :rolleyes: That might say something about their credibility. Either that or they didnt want to go thru the entire engine and re-check everything you've messed with thus far.

Reminds me of a sign I saw at this one shop. Said something to the effect of labor rate - $50/hr. If you watch - $60/hr. If you help - $75/hr. If you've worked on it yourself - $100/hr.

Last edited:
I see you are trying to use the clone lighting package in the predator block.
This means you intend to use the clone flywhee too.

Bad Idea this flywheel does not fit the taper on the predator crank correctly.
There is no easily done solution to adding a lighting package.
Stay with the oem flywheel for now.

So what happens if you pull the crank out of the original motor and try to run it in the pred? Will it fit? I'm sure someone will chime in that knows. Maybe then you could used the lighting coil? If I were you, I'd just swap the pred and use batteries for the light. If you have to pay to fix the motor, you may find it's cheaper to just by the pred. You have nothing to worry about with the shaft not being threaded.

Hi again. I didn't notice at first that the Predator 212cc engine has an internal thread inside the end of its output shaft. So my original question is now moot as it is obvious a bolt and washer will be used.

In terms of the Predator, I picked one up yesterday and started it up. It ran well and I'm planning on keeping this one OEM bone stock for now.

One noob question: how much more road speed can one get by adjusting the throttle limiter screw (that the short end near the pivot point of the long arm hits) so that the throttle can open more??

In terms of lighting, well the light on my 196cc that came with the Baja was so weak that it is basically useless.... Therefore, I will rig a battery setup and place it in the storage area of the faux tank if i really need the light....:laugh:

Keeping my fingers crossed about the original engine though... Obviously no hurry at this point and my Dad's mech friends will probably have it figured out quickly -- I mean it is 1 cylinder, how complicated can it be :laugh: They will prob only need a 6-pack as payment too lol

I'm planning on keeping this one OEM bone stock for now. One noob question: how much more road speed can one get by adjusting the throttle limiter screw (that the short end near the pivot point of the long arm hits) so that the throttle can open more??
maybe 1 or 2 mph. the engine will only go as fast as the governor will let it. once you hit the limit the governor kicks in and reduces rpm. your speed is all relative to your gear ratio and your tire size. have you considered buying one thats already race ready? they are not that much more expensive.

rmm727

You did the math the wrong way. He was asking about a clone crank in a predator which is 54mm stroke and 70mm bore

versus a 55mm stroke and 68mm bore like you did.