Live axle bearing "nipple" question

Just ordered and received a 1" live axle setup from BMI. I can't figure out what the little "nipple" is on the bearing outside race or why the bearing flanges won't go over it when bolted to the mount. Secondly, is there a reason why one of the flanges would be stamped "C" and the other "D". they look identical. Has anyone else seen this nipple thing and how would you properly assemble a unit like this? I have this same question on my chopper build page but thought it would be more likely answered in the general section. Thanks, Joe

That is a good question I have never seen that on a flangettes style of bearing but that might be a bearing out of a pillow block mounted bearing that does not use a pair of flangettes. For a live axle I always use bearings with a cam-lock collar to hold the Axel in place.
Steve :scooter:

never saw one like that before.:shrug:
will it press inward?
no its pretty stationary, looks like the head of some kind of press pin. valocalrep says he just ordered the same and his looks like that too. I really dont want to grind it out but thinking if I drill a small hole in one of the flangettes, if that would be ok. It would only prevent the race from spinning in the flange which I dont think matters but Ive never used this setup before and none of the pictures on the net show this nipple.

Valocalrep

no its pretty stationary, looks like the head of some kind of press pin. valocalrep says he just ordered the same and his looks like that too. I really dont want to grind it out but thinking if I drill a small hole in one of the flangettes, if that would be ok. It would only prevent the race from spinning in the flange which I dont think matters but Ive never used this setup before and none of the pictures on the net show this nipple.
Yeah i thought about grinding mine off too but i dont know it will mess anything up. That idea for drilling a hole in the flange inst a bad idea

Yeah i thought about grinding mine off too but i dont know it will mess anything up. That idea for drilling a hole in the flange inst a bad idea
I wrote BMI and waiting for a response, they apparently dont answer the phone they have listed. I think Im just going to drill out a small relief hole in one of the flangettes and slip it over, it really can't hurt.

Hey Joe,got your pm
I agree with Steve I have only seen the ones with pins used on pillow block bearins , as long as the flanges will sandwich the bearing tightly just grind them off or as was sugested make a relief hole in the flange

i would guess that its to keep the beaing from spinning and if there is no recess for it maybe it just scrapes its own slot in the flange when you tighten it down

Stangrcr1 answered it for us on my chopper build page. it is intentional to keep the outer race from spinning in the flanges. but the flanges need to be drilled to accept the "nub". his picture of what it should look like...

Thanks Don!

Last edited:
response from BMI

Subject: 1 inch bearings for live axle setup

Joseph

That nipple is removable. Use a set of pliers and pull it out. The nipple is for a different style of flangettes.

If you need any more help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Chad

Sincerely,
BMI Karts & Supplies