Livingroom Upgrades....gulp!

jeep4me

Getting ready to start a project I've been putting off for the last 2 years. Going to drywall over the brick wall in my livingroom.

We thought about painting the brick but have since decided to drywall over it.

Here's a couple of before pictures taken just a few minutes ago.
Over the next couple days there's going to be some major differences.... good ones I hope.

Wish me luck.

Itype2slo

Just paint the brick white and the upper mantle black and change out the gold fireplace doors and call it a day.:thumbsup:

You'll have no trouble with that at all. Looks to me like if you drop that mantle down just over the fireplace and pitch the TV you could fit two mini bikes up there too! Good Luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup::biggrin:

Awww, I only looked at this coz I thought you were going to install two minibikes as bookends on yer fireplace, or use'em for armrests for yer couch, but this is about simple home improvement.....MEH, not interested!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good luck with that job:thumbsup:

(but that fireplace would look good with two minibikes straddling it...:eek:ut:)

Yup. I'm into a kitchen re-do that started off years ago with the sentance " I think I'm going to straighten out The paint on this ceiling... good thing the weather is absolutely crappy here in NY.

jeep4me

The brick patterns above and below the mantle don't match. Done at different times? Is the top part just z-brick or paneling?
That pattern must have been done when the house was built in 1952. The brick on the fireplace wall is the same brick that's on the outside of the house. My kids like the brick, but my wife and myself are ready for it to go away.

Made progress in the last week or so. Starting to paint today. Then I'll do some tile work around the fireplace and on the hearth. I'll paint the fireplace front, but not sure what color yet. Still need to find the tile.

Last edited:

jeep4me

That's a rear fun trip. Deciding on tile, sheesh...

We have looked a tile for 3 weeks.
We have it down to 20.:laugh:
I hear that.

We went to 4 different tile shops yesterday and still haven't found one that my wife likes. I found about 8 styles I like, but..... well, you get the picture.

jeep4me

Finally remembering to post some updated pictures.

It's nearly complete. Just need to put up the base board trim. And get some new furniture.

My wife ended up "picking" out some tile (same tile I picked out on our first trip to Lowe's).

Boards are there only to hold the tile in place while the mastic dries.

Last edited:

buckeye

Nice transformation.

I remember my Dad always fussing about Mom buying girdles.
She would look at every one and then a hour later buy the first one she looked at. Go figure.
Things never change.