looking for pics and info on Alsport rear brake cables

125ccCrazy

picked up another Alsport 3 wheeler, this one is a rigid frame, probably had a 5hp on it originally with band brakes... Did these come with a Y cable to run to each band brake or was there a splitter (connector) like on a car or trucks E-brake? any info or pics would be appreciated.. This one will either get a hopped up Briggs 5hp or a slightly modded Tec h70 with lighting coil...leaning towards the Tecumseh...

wjustice

My older blue trike had a splitter system. Single cable to what looked like a bracket from centerpull bicycle brakes. Then a u-cable to each brake. I tried getting it to work and ended up with separate cables to each brake. Later installed mech discs.

I remember one Tri sport that had 3 brake levers all for band brakes one for each axle and one on the Jack shaft. And that sucker was a chain buster and then it was pretty much a free ride as the other brakes were useless. I think it was one of Tri Sports biggest failures.
Steve

wjustice

Yeah Steve my TS290 had that setup. The axle brakes were useless and the j/s brake knocked the chain adjuster back several times. Switched the mcp hydro's. They are working but I hope to get them all finished they way I want them when the weather gets better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All the time I had my TS290 I put up with the band brakes back then about the only Hydraulics were made by
Hurst Airheart for the go Karts and they had two sizes the 150 and 175. So when the first RTS units came out with the Kelsey Hayes units I stuck with them but I went to double row #40 chain and a live axle
Steve

wjustice

For the record, I don't have any pics of the original splitter setup. But using old parts didn't work well. They worked but there was lots of lever travel. Also I haven't made out well using bands with the large (20"+) tires. Bands on the j/s work great but like Steve said hard on the chain.

I remember riding my TS290 in Saddle Back Park, I went to climb a big hill full of big rocks some were more like boulders and I was within 4 feet from the top and I hit a big rock and the trike was under full power so it bounced up like a wheelie and the chain hit the rock head on and the engine revved up and I had a few milliseconds to react so I flipped a fast U-turn and down the hill full speed I went And there were lots of people ahead of my path and it's hard to " yell get out of the way " with a full face Bell helmet on. I wasn't sure that trike would ever stop even with zig-zag . And the jack shaft band brake was out of the play.
Steve

125ccCrazy

Thanks guys for the replies, I'll probably make a piece to connect the cables together,,I don't plan on doing a lot of modifications to this one, I would like to keep it simple as possible plus it has 3/4 axles so finding brake rotors or hubs are not very common for 3/4" I have a new diff with 1" axles but haven't been able to find 5 bolt hubs for 1", all I find are 4 lugs hubs..

wjustice

Whatca know, I found it. Bracket and equalizer. I'm on my phone right now but I can post a pic later

125ccCrazy

Thank you WJ for the pic and info... unfortunately both those pieces are missing on mine so I'll have to see about fabricating something.

wjustice

Well the one is simply a cable clamp and the other looks just like on a bicycle center pull brakes. The rear section was just a bare cable looped from brake to brake.

wjustice

Tell you what, if you want this setup pm me your address. I'm not going to use it.. It may be a couple days. If I can't get it out today or tomorrow because its gonna snow, it may be a few days

125ccCrazy

Tell you what, if you want this setup pm me your address. I'm not going to use it.. It may be a couple days. If I can't get it out today or tomorrow because its gonna snow, it may be a few days

I appreciate the help on this,Thank you.... these parts would be a great start in restoring the trike...