Made a spring loaded chain tensioner for the DB

Made it out of the kickstand :hack::grind::weld:(which was torched off for ground clearance a while back.) Everything is part of the kickstand except for the piece of flat stock that the tensioner is on. When this wheel pulley gives out, I'll probably get some skateboard wheels and do that, since people are having good luck with it.

Anyway, here are some pics. I may paint it... may let it rust, I dunno yet. :eek:ut::doah:

skeeveman,

Nice idea -- I was contemplating removing chain links for my HF 6.5 build. Not any longer. I think your spring loaded tensioner is kick a$$. :thumbsup:

skeeveman,

Nice idea -- I was contemplating removing chain links for my HF 6.5 build. Not any longer. I think your spring loaded tensioner is kick a$$. :thumbsup:
we have been removing chain links. it works just fine, but the problem is you have to adjust it all the time due to the short adjustment on the stock tensioner. i talked to skeeveman earlier, and not only does this eliminate constant adjustments, it also does a better job of keeping chain lash down because its a constantly variable adjuster.

we have been removing chain links. it works just fine, but the problem is you have to adjust it all the time due to the short adjustment on the stock tensioner.
have you tried using some good quality pre-stretched kart chain? i've had the RLV Extreme chain on my Cat and DB and never had to adjust it after the initial setup.

when i was using the crap that you buy 10' at a time i was having to adjust it way too often from it stretching.

have you tried using some good quality pre-stretched kart chain? i've had the RLV Extreme chain on my Cat and DB and never had to adjust it after the initial setup.

when i was using the crap that you buy 10' at a time i was having to adjust it way too often from it stretching.
well, for one, we are still using the chains that came on them (bunch of cheap bastards we are), and two, when we hit the trails, you dont understand the bashing those bikes take. im talking riding hard enough on hilly muddy trails to keep up with 4 wheelers, i seriously doubt there is ANY chain that wouldnt stretch under that load, however, now with the chain tensioner, the chain seems to be doing good. I need to yank mine off and clean it, its binding up, im gonna soak it for about 24 hours in some kerosene, reinstall it, and lube the shit out of it. i made the mistake of not lubing it when it was new and now some of the links are binding.

Ok, I have a few questions: First, it it looks like bent flat stock. (kick stand) I dont see!
Second. Was it necessary to weld the frame in either spot to connect the bracket or spring? Third. Is the small tab a chain guide to keep it straight?

I say this! It is the best inovation I have seen, other than the disc brake upgrade I saw this whole year. Yes, clean it up and paint it. You are a winner and showed your talents here and I for one appreciate you posting your rough set up showing how to do this upgrade!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :doah:

TT

FANTASTIC!!!!

DOODLE BUG PAINT SUPPLY AUTOMOTIVE BID. YESTERDAY… $152.35. "ANNEX AUTOMOTIVE AND INDUSTRIAL FINISHES."
2-CANS ETCHING HIGH BUILD PRIMER'S EACH ($14.01-$14.30) MEDIUM TEMP CLEARCOAT ACTIVATOR ($12.76) REDUCER ($16.61) 1-PINT RED METTALIC ACRILIC URATHANE PAINT ($45.75) PAINT-CLEARCOAT ($32.87) 3- MIXING CUPS.(48 CENTS EACH) VERY IMPORTANT. SPRAY GUN WATER TRAP FILTER GUN-($11.84)

Thanks, Taco... I do plan on painting it :D Just thought I'd show the progress of it. So far we've did 3 of these kickstand conversions, and just like anything, each time it gets better and better. The latest one is on slow5oh's and we didn't even use the flat stock... so it was all stock parts, all that is needed is the tools and a little bit of skill.

I will get more pictures later and explain it in more detail. But basically, if you look at the kickstand in stock form, there is the main bracket that is welded to the frame and is the pivot point for the kickstand itself. That is then welded to the frame where the old tensioner used to be. Just make sure everything is square and tack it on... check it all again, and weld it up.

well, for one, we are still using the chains that came on them (bunch of cheap bastards we are), and two, when we hit the trails, you dont understand the bashing those bikes take. im talking riding hard enough on hilly muddy trails to keep up with 4 wheelers, i seriously doubt there is ANY chain that wouldnt stretch under that load, however, now with the chain tensioner, the chain seems to be doing good. I need to yank mine off and clean it, its binding up, im gonna soak it for about 24 hours in some kerosene, reinstall it, and lube the shit out of it. i made the mistake of not lubing it when it was new and now some of the links are binding.
for $25 it might be worth a shot. any chain will get hahahahaed up if you're beating the shit out of it on muddy trails.

95% of my riding is straight line on the street and i'm more concerned with acceleration and top end (basically drag type shit). i have damn near no interest in trying to ride my DB on dirt trails.