Make doodle street legal

would the etching on the neck suffice as a vin number?thinking of putting dot tires, lights ,and horn to make legal registration as a moped in the state of washington

den35

I don't know if that would work.Up here the DB30 is imported as an R.U.M.(Restricted Use Motorcycle).Because of this it doesn't matter how many steps you take to make your bike streetable.The government won't register it for the streets.

Mine came from the retailer with a reflective white sticker on the fork indicating it was a restricted use motorcycle.if your came new with that,you're probably SOL.

I'd give your local DOT branch a call to find out for sure if I were you.

Wait!Are you refering to the Baja Doodlebug or the original 1947 Doodlebug?

Its the green baja i picked up off craigslist for $50 came with 2.5 that didnt hold compression got the h.f. 6.5 for $99 in it now lots of power only flipped it once

if it's anything like Oregon where you live, they require a VIN number for any vehicle that goes on the road, you can't put one of those on, they have to come from the manufacturer. I believe the etching on the frame is just a part number, could be wrong, but I'm positive it isn't a vin number.

I dont know if this works for 'motorcycles', but in TX, homebuilt vehicles can be titled and registered. You have an inspector come over, or take it to an inspector who goes over it to check everything. Then if it passes, they can issue you a VIN #. I don't see why its so much different than some of the cheapie scooter/mopeds I see on the road.
Might be kinda scary in traffic!:eek:ut: I get paranoid in anything smaller than a fullsize truck though. LOL

I'm with you, I'd be concerned that someone in a taller vehicle wouldn't see me and I'd be on the 9 o'clock news that night.
i've ridden around cars in parking lots and they do not see you. my DB is also pretty loud so they should at least hear me and look around.

there's no way i'd want to actually want to share the street with cars.

I purchaced a kit to convert my XR600R for street use.....no big deal.

I bet you could do the same with a mini the problem is no one makes DOT tires for the DB's 6" rims. You would have to swap out some 8" wheels, I've seen DOT tires for 8" wheels. Headlights, brake lights can all be homemade. each state is different requiring the minimum equipment to be street legal.