MB165 & kids vintage class Rupp Roadster

MB165

Never been a Rupp fan, until I saw this build, and the one that Fist is doing. Your attention to detail, fine craftsmanship and electrical knowledge are top-notch. I especially appreciate the dual feed AC into the inverter/charger info.

Many years ago, Lockheed tested paralleling generators on 400hz systems. Every time phases synched (random chaos) one of the generators blew up. Do you see an issue with frying one of the coils should sine waves align, or is that impossible due to the physical distance from the magnet during rotation? Just something I was wondering.

Very nice machine sir.
Thank you Dave,
Im hoping it gets done on time, the chrome is really becoming a issue.
I didnt bother counting how many magnets are on the flywheel, not sure what frequency its gonna have but I bet its going to be in the hundreds of hertz. On our dirtbikes we use 12 pole stators into these type regulators, without issue, ive never checked frquency. Im really not sure if the coils are gonna like what I did, we will find out though:shrug:
What caused the lockheed generators to have problems, I dont undrstand why synching the freq. would it throw off the regulators for each unit? Generac corporation parallels several units in a row. granted their only 60 hertz and more than likely three phase, no trouble. but they do use AVR, digitized voltage regulators, I believe tied together on a canbus. how were the 400hz systems rotor field controlled? AVR, capacitor, old reactor type transformers?

Thank you Dave,
Im hoping it gets done on time, the chrome is really becoming a issue.
I didnt bother counting how many magnets are on the flywheel, not sure what frequency its gonna have but I bet its going to be in the hundreds of hertz. On our dirtbikes we use 12 pole stators into these type regulators, without issue, ive never checked frquency. Im really not sure if the coils are gonna like what I did, we will find out though:shrug:
What caused the lockheed generators to have problems, I dont undrstand why synching the freq. would it throw off the regulators for each unit? Generac corporation parallels several units in a row. granted their only 60 hertz and more than likely three phase, no trouble. but they do use AVR, digitized voltage regulators, I believe tied together on a canbus. how were the 400hz systems rotor field controlled? AVR, capacitor, old reactor type transformers?
Well, they're self excited, but externally regulated per load. (Internal PMG) We (they) used freq sensing relays with hi and low pass filters on one of phases. This de-coupled the generator from the buss via contactor (relay).

Four separate 90KVA machines spinning at once, with each of them able to supply four busses. Gen switching a requirement of course since certain busses carry higher priorities. Thus, the ability to parallel generators and match phases was present. The tests they did in the late 50's blew the generators apart in a spectacular fashion. These babies weigh about 100#'s each.

So last night, I was pondering a dual coil setup and wondering if there was the possibility of feedback to a coil, with meltdown. Obviously there isn't enough power to blow anything up. Your knowledge in these systems is better than mine, so I'm probably asking a stupid question. :thumbsup:

If this works, you will get way cool points, and the rest of us are gonna wonder, "why didn't I think of that?" What a great way to incorporate a battery and viable, powerful charging system.

MB165

usuall resistance from ground to each coil is appx .2-.3 ohms.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/5X8Rider/hs40
schematic_zpse1bcbb94.jpg

MB165

finally got the rechromed parts back, and another parts order. still waiting on the headlight bucket.

I polished up the spokes and hubs and relaced them. It took awhile and some :censure:, getting them trued up, the rims werent perfectly round either. seems like the smaller the rim size the harder it is to true them.

the tires mounted up nice and easy

custom decal set.....can anybody figure it out?

Wow. Cool bike. If I was around when these things were new I would have never stopped bugging my folks for one. Shoot I thought my '78 gt 80 was the baddest bike around even though it was older than me. I have a friend with an old Rupp in his dad's barn in Montana. I keep telling him to bring it back to UT the next time he goes up. Maybe one day I'll talk him into it, but until then I'll have to admire yours.

Sweet Ride! Bring on the vids!